Feeling Bad And What To Do - Long

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 6:40pm by mrswendel

mrswendel Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone,

So, I did a wedding cake yesterday - 3 tier hexagon, covered in white fondant with buttercream piped hearts and swirls to match the invite, with a red fondant ribbon at the bottom of each tier (sorry no pic). Everything was fine until I went to put on the ribbon. I took out my red fondant (Satin Ice) and noticed it was full of hard little lumps...couldn't get rid of them. So, I mixed some fondant but ran out of red colouring icon_eek.gif so it was dark pink...not good. The only option I could think of was to use red petal dust/vodka and paint it. It looked really bad, streaky/uneven.

At this time, my sitter was supposed to be showing up.....only to get a call that she was in bed with a wicked stomach flu....no babysitter for my 4 and 6 year old. So, I delivered the cake and forgot to get a picture....all of the guests were already sitting at their tables and I had the boys with me! Anyway, I am really disappointed in how this one came out....the couple are super nice and I feel bad that I didn't deliver what I know I could have.

Would you say anything to the bride about the cake...or do you just wait to see if they contact you?

11 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 12

If its set in your contract that only red was to be used, and you couldnt hold up your end of the bargain, i would of had a word with the bride about it, just to apologise and perhas offer a small discount on future cakes or something. But as i dont do this as a living or buisness . . . Ive never been in them shoes before.

JGMB Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 12

I'm not a business person, so you can take this with a grain of salt. But, I am a person with a conscience, as I can tell you are. I think you're never going to feel right about it unless you address the issue.

I think I'd call and tell her exactly what you posted here, then offer to make a first anniversary cake that will knock their socks off!

3GCakes Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 12

I'd wait to hear from the bride. Maybe to her, it wasn't such a big deal.

Most people have in their contracts that colors will be close, but sometimes not exact.

Most business cakers don't point out their own mistakes when they do not have to.... If you dropped the cake or something, fine...but I would just ride it out. No news is good news.

mrswendel Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you for your feedback. Caths Cakes - the ribbon was red, just not solid even red. The bride was not there when I delivered the cake. JGMB - you are right....my conscience plays a huge part on this one. It's not a matter of not providing what they ordered....they got what was on the contract......what they didn't get was a good job (in my personal opinion)

costumeczar Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 12

Contact her asap and be the first to address it. She might be on her honeymoon already, but if you send her an email she'll get it! You'll feel better being the proactive one, and she'll think better of you (for future word of mouth) than if you just wait and see if she calls you.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 12

So trying to understand here--you delivered late due to babysitting issues (hope your sis is ok & getting better) and the ribbon was below your expectations?

Guests were already seated 'at thier tables' that's already seated for the meal not for the ceremony right? the ceremony was over yes?

It could go either way--some brides are more interested in actually getting married than all the particulars of the day including the ups & downs.

Any way to contact anyone else to get a vibe? the planner or someone?

But I just want to caution everyone to please don't go overboard on refunding to absolve our guilt ridden souls.

If I was late delivering I might call or drop a note apologizing and wait for a response and go from there. While streaky it sounds like the ribbon was red so I would not comment on that unless it comes up.

That's what I would do with what I understand happened so far.

If there was not a stated delivery time I would not even go there though. sounds like it was cut close anyway which make sme think you might not do this alot?

Some brides are happy to get married and it's concerning to bring up negative things--can't reallly tell here on this one.

But none of this sounds that bad to moi.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:55pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

I'd wait to hear from the bride. Maybe to her, it wasn't such a big deal.

Most people have in their contracts that colors will be close, but sometimes not exact.

Most business cakers don't point out their own mistakes when they do not have to.... If you dropped the cake or something, fine...but I would just ride it out. No news is good news.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes Yes!

A lot of brides want to have 'the perfect day' --you go trying to absolve your grievous sin and you blacken her memories to salve your conscious for your own feelings.

It wasn't 100% perfect get over it, 96% is still an A.

Since the delivery was not in the bride's presence, my vote is let it go unless contacted.

mrswendel Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:07pm
post #9 of 12

The ceremony and reception were at the same place. I was asked to deliver after the ceremony.....so I wasn't delivering it late. According to one of the guests that I spoke with, a number of them were from out of town and didn't have anywhere to go, so they opened up the reception room for them to have somewhere to hang out while waiting for the bride and groom to do pics.

Thanks for all of your feedback.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:11pm
post #10 of 12

Then you're fine I think.

And good job!!

Deb_ Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:15pm
post #11 of 12

If all that was wrong with this cake was just the color of the fondant ribbon as your story states then I wouldn't contact her first. If it was an issue with her then you'll be hearing from her.

Now if other issues happened during the delivery............your kids running around tripping poor old Aunt Myrna or stealing Uncle Zeb's walker or cane, well then yes an apology is in order. icon_biggrin.gif

I NEVER go *fishing* for complaints.

Issues like you had with this cake and the fondant and petal dust are why I complete my wedding cakes the evening before delivery. I couldn't go to sleep knowing I had to wake up and face finishing a wedding cake in a short amount of time...........especially with 2 little ones around.

You just never know what issues will come up and at least if it's the day before, you'll have time to rectify those issues.

Also in the future if your fondant has "hard lumps" try nuking it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time and kneed, kneed, kneed....being careful of *hot spots* from the nuking.

Good luck, hopefully you won't be hearing any complaints from this bride.

mrswendel Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:40pm
post #12 of 12

lololol no, no tripping Aunt Myrna (very funny though) they stood in the doorway and waited. (Mommy was a little stressed so they knew not to try anything!!) Usually I finish the day before as well so I can enjoy my morning, take my pics and deliver them and go, but my other cakes and cupcakes took way longer than anticipated and I thought - fondant ribbon - quick and easy! Anyway, I haven't heard anything as of yet. And thanks for the tip about the lumpy fondant!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%