Wedding Cake Dilemma In Regard To Sponge And Icing!

Decorating By jorosiep Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 4:54pm by MikeRowesHunny

jorosiep Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 10:30am
post #1 of 3

I am not getting married just yet but next year I hope to trial cook our wedding cake for our 'celebration party' at home in the UK as we are getting married abroad. I have decided to make one tier of iced fruit cake and make mini iced fruit cakes, but I would also want to make some mini sponge cakes as well for the guests who don't like fruit. As I will be away for the wedding for three weeks, I intend on making the fruit cake before I go away which I know will keep. The party will go ahead as soon as we get back.

I am not sure however if I marzipan and ice the fruit cake before I go away, will it last for three weeks if properly wrapped and stored (I am thinking cling film and tin storage!).

Also, if I made the sponge before I go away and freeze it, will it be okay once defrosted for mini wedding cakes? Also I don't know whether to ice them with rolled icing or drizzle them, is there another way to do this which won't take too long?

I would be grateful for some advice. I am competent at making cakes (as my fiance will attest to!) but I have to wait until next year to trial the cakes because my oven's thermostat is broken and likes to burn things even on 80 and I want to get a new oven when we move!

2 replies
peg818 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 3

I really can't answer about the fruit cakes, but i do think they would last iced, but i don't know how they are stored once they are iced.

The sponge should be fine if you freeze it. When you do your trial run, try freezing it with it already iced, i would try a couple of different types of icing, and go from there. If the cakes do fine for you, then ice them before freezing and save yourself a big headache

MikeRowesHunny Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 3

I made my parents anniversary cake last year when we came back to the UK on holiday. Fruit cake was baked in July (did that at home and took it with me!), I iced & marzipaned it at the beginning of August, their anniversary is 24th September. It was stored at room temperature all that time in a standard cardboard cake box. It was perfect, everyone said that it was the best fruitcake they have ever had (but then everyone always does!).

As for your sponge cakes, if you plan to cut them from a slab of cake, then freeze that slab as a whole and cut out your rounds or whatever and ice when you get back. I, personally, would ice them the same as the fruit cakes. However, Squires Kitchen have just bought out a range of fruit flavoured pouring fondants that are divine!

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%