Question Re Stacked Cake

Decorating By babykonst Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 6:57am by babykonst

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:44am
post #1 of 6

hi everyone, i am making a 2 tier 9"/6" cake for tomorrow, and its my first stacked cake so my question is do i need a support system?? ie are dowels enough to hold it?? both tiers are 4" high, so would i also need to sued a cake board for the 6" as well?? or can i just place it right ontop of the bottom layer, im just worried the weight might make it sink.

thanks in advance!!!

baby

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:46am
post #2 of 6

Dowels and a board. Together they make a table for the top cake to sit on. The bottom tier is not supporting the top tier, the dowels and board are. You can make a hidden board...cut a circle the same size or a teensy bit smaller than your top tier so it won't show, but there does have to be a board in there. Makes it easier to serve too.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:46am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by babykonst

hi everyone, i am making a 2 tier 9"/6" cake for tomorrow, and its my first stacked cake so my question is do i need a support system?? ie are dowels enough to hold it?? both tiers are 4" high, so would i also need to sued a cake board for the 6" as well?? or can i just place it right ontop of the bottom layer, im just worried the weight might make it sink.

thanks in advance!!!

baby

Yes you need a support system (I like using bubble tea straws instead of dowels because their much easier to cut) and yes you will need a cake board under the 6" as well.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:49am
post #4 of 6

Here area couple of tutorials that should help:

Edna's tutorial (tonedna)

babykonst Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:56am
post #5 of 6

ty soo much xstitcher i was hopeing you would be online!!! very helpful!!

babykonst Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:57am
post #6 of 6

ty to you too texas rose!!!! thank goodnes we have this sight with experience ppl!!! i luv you guys!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%