How Early Is Too Early To Start Making Fondant Pieces?

Decorating By bethyscake Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 9:09pm by xstitcher

bethyscake Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:46am
post #1 of 8

I read a post already stating that fondant if it is to be eaten shouldnt be made more than 4-5 days in advance. So that would be anything directly place on the cake itself. So things like characters and objects standing on or around the cake are more for decoration and the parts can be made much further in advance. I use MM Fondant, will it really go bad after a few weeks? is that due to the hardening of it? since there are no ingredients that technically go bad?

7 replies
xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:51am
post #2 of 8

If there 2 dimensional pieces (like dots and stripes that you see on cakes) that you will be sticking right onto the cake then I would make them at basically the same time as I am ready to decorate the cake. If they are 3D then they need to be made in advance so they have ample time to dry. I don't think the fondant goes "bad" but yes it would be hard and you don't want to chip a tooth if it's really hard.

bethyscake Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:09am
post #3 of 8

thank you. Im sort of an impatient person so once I learn about a cake I will be making I want to start that day lol. And I dislike making cakes if there are no events for them so its hard to get any real practice in.

xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:19am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethyscake

thank you. Im sort of an impatient person so once I learn about a cake I will be making I want to start that day lol. And I dislike making cakes if there are no events for them so its hard to get any real practice in.

I was in the same boat. Have you thought of using dummies to practice on?

bethyscake Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:26am
post #5 of 8

dummies as in the styrofoam cakes? no not yet, are they re-usable, im on a short income at the moment since im not making anything from my cakes yet.

xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 7:01am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethyscake

dummies as in the styrofoam cakes? no not yet, are they re-usable, im on a short income at the moment since im not making anything from my cakes yet.

Yes they are reusable whether you decide to use buttercream or fondant to cover the dummies. I don't work either so I and I don't sell cakes (I make them for free for friends and family) but at least this way you don't have to make the cakes over and over again. It's just the initial cost for the dummies. You can also make your own by cutting your own styrofoam.

On-line you can get them at:
taylor foam or
dal las foam (no spaces)

I also found this place and the prices are pretty good and shipping real cheap. The downside is the largest they have is 12" round (all of them are 4" high).

http://www.plasteelcorp.com/fo.....agod8hsoKA

bethyscake Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you so much for your help I truly appreciate it. I am glad I found this site, I wasnt expecting such quick replys icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 8

Your welcome! CC is a great place to be with lots and lots of helpful members.

Oh and welcome to CC!

Here's a link that might be helpful (if someone hasn't already given it to you that is icon_lol.gif). It's a list of the most commonly used acronyms on CC:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%