Help! New And Making A Wedding Cake In December...

Decorating By Megabot Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 9:07pm by xstitcher

Megabot Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:27am
post #1 of 7

Hello! I'm new to cake decorating and will be making my friends wedding cake this september. I'm having some small issues with fondant. It will occasionally tear when putting it on, is there any way to fix tears once they occur? Also when smoothing the fondant on the cake I can usually get it all smooth expect for one spot on the bottom where it bunches. I cant seem to make it all smooth. Any suggestions? I'm still looking for what exactly I'm going to do but it should be a 3-4 tier cake covered in fondant and then decorated. I would GREATLY appreciate any help!

6 replies
selfconclusion12 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:53am
post #2 of 7

I would suggest not making your fondant so thin. And as for it bunching, I kinda pull on it and stretch it out a bit and then there is no bunching if that makes any sense.

xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:14am
post #3 of 7

I would recommend rolling your fondant a little thicker as well. 1/4" is a good place to start but I definitely would not roll it any less than 1/8". As for the bunching in one area it has to do with how your smoothing/applying your fondant. For me personally I like to see how to do it then to read so I've attached some video's for you. After you've attached the top of the fondant you want to work your bottom by pulling it away and smoothing a little at a time. Here's a video that might help:

cakeladyde Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 7

I find that if I put the cake up on a stand, rotating or just a cake pan, it allows me to better push and smooth the fondant. Also I find that I actually push and smooth up not so much pulling to get rid of those bunches. I lift the bunches away from the cake and then smooth upwards, this will also help with tearing. Good luck, keep in mind you can always hide those little flaws and tears with flowers and bows, don't be too critical when just looking at the plain fondant cake, you will make yourself crazy. icon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 7

Hi and Welcome to CC, Megabot. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188.html

Above superthread contains popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) and so much more!

HTH

Megabot Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for all of the help! I'm going to all the sites and planning on getting the DVD. When I cut the excess fondant off after smoothing the sides down I often have icing coming out and making things messy. Does anyone wrap the bottom of the cakes with the fondant to get clean edges?

xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabot

Thanks for all of the help! I'm going to all the sites and planning on getting the DVD. When I cut the excess fondant off after smoothing the sides down I often have icing coming out and making things messy. Does anyone wrap the bottom of the cakes with the fondant to get clean edges?

My guess would be that either you have too much icing under the fondant or your pushing/pressing on the cake to hard when applying/smoothing the icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%