Rkt... Home Made Vs Store Bought...help Help Help

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 5:46pm by cathie_shinnick

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:45am
post #1 of 7

I seem to have a horrible poblem with RKT. I read quite a few posts about using the prepackaged ones, so I thought, why not if its easier, Im all in for that!!! I made a trunk for a palm tree. It never dried,and stayed gummy and soft. I "smushed" it really, really well. I dont know if that had anything to do with it. I know when I make my own, they do dry, but aren't very sturdy. Here is my question...... When making my own, should I just make the regular recipe then squish it really well into the shape I need? Or, smush the rice krispies to make them smaller and dense. I know this should be really easy, but for the life of me, I cant figure it out...... I am planning to make an Elmo head and arms for a cake due in a couple of weeks and I want to make it early so it will get really hard. TIA

6 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:54am
post #2 of 7

I cut the butter needed in half and use less rice crispies and then I really squish them into what I need hard. If you need this for anything that will be outside the heat may make the rice crispies come apart. Thats the nature of marshmellows.

cathie_shinnick Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:19am
post #3 of 7

That is what you told me about the palm tree last weekend lol. This cake will be inside.... Will they dry hard? Thanks so much sadsmile

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:25am
post #4 of 7

LOL I thought so. Yes they should dry. The longer you cook the marshmellows the harder they will get but don't over do it or it will be marble like...LOL And totally unedible. As in- Woops there goes Lisa's teeth!

cathie_shinnick Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:50am
post #5 of 7

Thanks again. I am going to makes some tomorrow and see how it turns out.......

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 7

I've made trees and haven't hard a problem. I always use purchased RKT. And I squish the life outta them. And I cover them in fondant. Haven't had an issue. What about them has to dry?

cathie_shinnick Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 7

They were very soft, and even covered in fondant they were never sturdy enough to hold the palm leaves and fell apart when I applied them. I did have a dowel in the trunk also, but as sadsmile knew, I delivered the cake to a beach party and it was humid and very hot. i am making an Elmo head and arms and I would like the RKT to get hard so I know I wont have any problems with it. In the future, I may try the packaged ones again to see if I have better luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%