Airbrush....to Buy Or Not To Buy???

Decorating By Lovemesomecake Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 2:47pm by static

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 12

I'm thinking about buying an airbrush gun but I'm not sure if I would get much use out of it. Can those of you with them tell me if you use it a lot or not. And my big question is, can you airbrush on a color to rolled fondant. Like if I wanted one of my layers to be black or red (the two hardest!!), could I just airbrush on the color instead of trying to dye the entire piece of fondant??

11 replies
AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:57am
post #2 of 12

I have an airbrush, don't use it very often....
As for coloring fondant, I find it very hard to get a nice consistent, even color when airbrushing. I'm sure I need more practice, but for me it's easier to just buy red and black fondant. icon_biggrin.gif

Lovemesomecake Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:55am
post #3 of 12

Anyone else??? icon_confused.gif

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 12

I recently had to make a tie-dye cake and, while I was tempted to run out and get an airbrush for this project, I just used Wilton's spray colors and it turned out perfect.

I have another question though--If you use a airbrush to spray on a heavy coat of red or black (or any color for that matter), does it dry completely? Is there a danger of the color running if the cake sweats after coming out of the fridge?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 12

For a dark color you do several light coats (letting it dry between them) I do not refrigerate cakes, so I don't have any expereince with how it behaves when refrigerated!

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 12

hubby bought me a nice air brush for mother's day...i was so excited but guess what? I've only used it once. i feel bad for not using it............i know i need to practice.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 12

I use mine all the time..At first it was hard because I wasn't quite sure what to do with it but I just practiced...alot!! Now I use it for nearly every cake...even if to just spray the cake in Pearl.

Lovemesomecake Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

For a dark color you do several light coats (letting it dry between them) I do not refrigerate cakes, so I don't have any expereince with how it behaves when refrigerated!

So it does work pretty well for covering a cake w/ one solid dark color?

mrscromer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscromer Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:10pm
post #9 of 12

I gotten one last year and use it all the time. I just love it. Makes things a whole lot easier. Just takes practice. Here's a site you may want to check out. I got mine from them, but on ebay. Great starter kits available too.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/

static Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
static Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:25pm
post #10 of 12

I'm an Illustrator and use airbrush quite ofen and I can tell you that with practice you can get the most perfect gradients. The trick is taking the time to do it well. you need to spray light coats and give them a bit of time to dry in between. do several layers ofone color first then the second color. yopu can use an airbrush for almost anything including stenciling. It doesnt have to be a "spray all over tool" , you can do very intricate work with it. I would say practice on bristol board a few time to get used to the tool, then away you go on cakes and the possibilities never end. I think its realy worth it.

Flintstone691961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flintstone691961 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 12

there are so many out on the market what are the best specs or must have options for caking.

static Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
static Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 12

There are so many wonderful options out there but they can get pretty expensive. For cake making I would go with a nice little single Action Paasche Airbrush. they are very good quality and are easy to get used to.
You can get them online or at any good art supply store. Paasche has some good kits for starters and at a great price range, some kits are as low as 60$ others go up to over 200$ for double action.
Here is a pic of some edible airbrush colors.(Korma edible airbrush colors)
http://www.bakedeco.com/info/dispWin.asp?is=/images/large/KKZ02.jpg
These are very good and have vibrant color.
OR
You can use gel colors adn vodka to dilute.
(yes cheap vodka works, you dont have to go out and get Smirnoff!)
also the vodka can be used to clean the airbush instead od rubbing alcohol or airbrush cleaner.
Good luck!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%