Get Fondant/gumpaste Mix To Dry In Super Humid Weather????

Decorating By Kimmers971 Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 12:01am by KitchenKat

Kimmers971 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 6

Help! I'm making a figure out of fonant mixed with gumpaste but it is so humid that it is just getting a sticky coating on the outside and not drying at all. I need it for Tuesday so I have some time, but how do I get it to dry? Any secrets out there someone is willing to share icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

5 replies
jamiekwebb Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 6

put it in your oven with the light on and it will dry out, you probably need to leave it in there overnight. Just don't forget that they are in there and turn it on...

cheeseball Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 6

Ah, my nemesis, humdity...ok, here's what I do down here in super sticky Belize (I think the humidity here today is 78% or 79%). I set figures and flowers on a small cooling rack on top of a 100 watt lamp - if you have a lamp with a flexible neck that you could point at your figure, I'm sure that would work as well. You could also turn your oven to the lowest setting for a minute, turn it off and then place your figure in it. It can take more than a week for thicker things to dry through and through here, especially during the rainy season, so I feel your pain! icon_lol.gif

cheeseball Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 6

HA! I wrote humdity instead of humidity

tonedna Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 6

I will say, trun the AC on. You can add some tylose to the gumpaste/fondant mix.
Usually helps too. Humidity aint fun!
Edna icon_smile.gif

KitchenKat Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:01am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I will say, trun the AC on. You can add some tylose to the gumpaste/fondant mix.
Usually helps too. Humidity aint fun!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Ditto. I dry everything in a constantly air conditioned room.

I live in the tropics with temps of 90+ and humidity in the 90%+.

Also, if i use just gumpaste, it dries within 2 days, without any issues, even if the room is not ac. I make my own gumpaste using Nicholas Lodge's recipe. However it's hard to use pure gumpaste for faces and figures co it dries so fast.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%