16 Oz Marshmallow!?! Why Do I Have Issues With This!?

Decorating By onlymadaresane Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 6:52pm by onlymadaresane

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 18

So I have a few recipes for MMF. I just made Yet another version this AM

All of them call for 16oz bag of mini marshmallows. WHERE do you people find 16oz bags!?! I have 10.5oz Kraft is 10.5, off brand 10.5oz - so I add 3/4 c packed mini's I KNOW that throws it off somewhere! It must because if I went by cups the big ole bag should have less than 2c of marshmallows in it!

So - does a 16oz bag exist and what who makes them!?

I'm assuming it probably wouldn't hurt to invest in a digital scale either huh?

That's my question and flustered vent today.

Thank you for reading and any words of wisdom you have. icon_smile.gif

17 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 18

Kraft makes a 16 oz bag. The grocery store and Walmart here sell them. It looks just like the 10.5 oz bag until you read the weight.

If you need a scale, Ross has nice ones cheap.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 18

My WalMart doesn't sell the 16 oz bags anymore. The generic went down to 10.5 oz bags.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 18

Volume goes down, price stays the same! See it everywhere lately! I'm also having a hard time finding the 16 oz anymore, but I have a scale and can weigh them out or just 'guesstimate' the amount!

selfconclusion12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selfconclusion12 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 18

I agree!! All I can find anywhere is 10.5! I use to be able to find 16 like a year ago...

Now I just guesstimate!

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 18

My walmart still carries the 16 oz bags.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 18

I don't even measure those things........I dump em' in a bowl depending on how much mmf i need and then splash some water on them, toss em' and heat for 1 min. stir, add powd. sugar until it feels right! LOL I'm terrible that way. I even made mmf one time with a cup of marshmallows

StarbucksAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StarbucksAddict Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:29am
post #8 of 18

If you have a Safeway (or one of the other supermarkets under that company, like Vons), check there. My local Giant and Superfresh have been carrying the 10.5 oz bags for about a year, but Safeway--all 3 in this 6 mile suburb and the others I visit on my way home from school/internship from here to 30 miles north carry the 16 ounce bags.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:00am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I don't even measure those things........I dump em' in a bowl depending on how much mmf i need and then splash some water on them, toss em' and heat for 1 min. stir, add powd. sugar until it feels right! LOL I'm terrible that way. I even made mmf one time with a cup of marshmallows

That sounds like something I would do.

To the OP, why don't you adjust the recipe so it works for a 10.5 oz bag. I love measuring my ingredients on the scale, so much easier than measuring in cups (especially with items like marshmallows).

If you need help adjusting the recipe let me know.

I just looked at a couple of recipes here on CC and the first one that I clicked on that said 16 oz I adjusted:

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1949-2-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

so if your using the 10.5 bag of marshmallows this is what you would use:

10.5 oz marshmallows
1.3125 tb of water (I'd just round up to 1 1/3 tb or 4 tsp just for ease)
1.3125 pounds of icing sugar (5 1/4 cups) - mind you if you use a 2 1b bag normally then you'll need to measure this instead icon_lol.gif

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:21am
post #10 of 18

Well, when I found out about this recipe, I had to adjust it to Portuguese products. Here we don't have mini marshmallows, just big ones. I had to study the proportions of the ingredients on the recipe, and I realized it was very easy!!!!!!!!!!
If you weight the marshmallows sugar is just the double!
Water: I just wet a little the marshmallows before I put them in the microwave!
For instance:
100g of marshmallows
200g of sugar

or

1 oz pound of marshmallows
2 oz of sugar

just double the sugar icon_smile.gif

beanbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beanbean Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:11pm
post #11 of 18

I use 1 1/2 of the 10.5 oz bags. This equals 15.75 oz. which is pretty darn close to 16 oz.

tab_stout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab_stout Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:28pm
post #12 of 18

I have had the same problem. A month and half ago I went to Wal-mart and they had the 16 oz. bags, but I've gone again the last two weekends to get them and they have gotten rid of them and now only carry the 10.5 oz bags. (Don't they know we need thoughs!) LOL
So I did the same thing as beanbean - It worked well

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:43pm
post #13 of 18

I hear ya. One day everything changed! Geesh. Put a kink in our routine. Who do they think they are? icon_wink.gif I just double the recipe, and then you use 3 bags of the 10.5 and I have extra fondant I can use later. It lasts forever if its wrapped good.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:51pm
post #14 of 18

So I'm not the only one? I have'nt been able to find the 16oz for about 2 weeks, I bought all they had left at 2 Wal-marts so I have a tiny stockpile but it won't last for long, I wonder if they can be bought online?
I do like the idea of making a double batch, I hate making mmf and a double batch would mean one less time making it !
Same here KHalstead I just made some mmf in a coffee cup the other day, just needed enough white for some eyes and dreaded making a full batch!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:06pm
post #15 of 18

16 oz, is 16 oz, no matter how you slice it --and there's no law that says you have to use mini marshmallows. I just buy the larger Jet Puffed and cut them up so they melt quicker. However, you can make MMF without cutting them up as well, you just have to be a little more diligent when watching the melting process --takes a bit longer...

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:20pm
post #16 of 18

I had the same problem. I couldnt find a 16oz bag anywhere. I found some mini MM that were 16oz at walmart, but I couldnt find any anywhere else. Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe calls for 15oz, so I just use about a bag and a half of the 10oz. Or sometimes If Im worried about not measuring it right I just make a double batch and use 3 bags. I have had so much trouble with mmf. I pretty much gave up on it soley. I mike Michelle Fosters fondant with MMF 50/50 and I have had better luck with it. Good taste, no air bubbles, proper elasticity, and it dries better for flowers and such.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:00pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

I had the same problem. I couldnt find a 16oz bag anywhere. I found some mini MM that were 16oz at walmart, but I couldnt find any anywhere else. Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe calls for 15oz, so I just use about a bag and a half of the 10oz. Or sometimes If Im worried about not measuring it right I just make a double batch and use 3 bags. I have had so much trouble with mmf. I pretty much gave up on it soley. I mike Michelle Fosters fondant with MMF 50/50 and I have had better luck with it. Good taste, no air bubbles, proper elasticity, and it dries better for flowers and such.

Me too (MFF), but I still make the marshmallow version to cover cake boards and dummy cakes --and I use Rhonda's Ultimate for that. 15 ounces of the large size marshmallows is the equivalent of removing two large marshmallows from the bag. (I've weighed it and it's accurate every time.) icon_lol.gif

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:52pm
post #18 of 18

You ladies are so helpful! I did find 16oz ALWAYS SAVE brand at Price Chopper (a grocery store in the Midwest) the other day. I was surprised!

I did make MFF and it was really good! I made MMF today as well...I like them both but I can't wait to take the Wilton class so I can learn the tricks to making it all go smooth!

Thanks for the help ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%