Say No To Facebook And Twitter

Lounge By stampinron Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 8:39pm by LaBellaFlor

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 59

Awww...CC is my secret weapon! I don't want to share it icon_wink.gif I have to admit my disappointment with the tags on the left side column when I saw them.

I've only given out the website to one close friend.....I guess I'm selfish with it. icon_twisted.gif

58 replies
Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 59

I've only shared CC with one close caker as well. I hope we're not found out by the masses, I feel like it's a secet little treehouse club where we can vent and share without judgement.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 59

Oh yeah....a treehouse club with 4556 PAGES of members.

I refuse FB and Twitter anyway. People who twitter are twits. People who Facebook are lemmings.

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 59

You guys are hilarious! I share cake central with everyone in my Wilton class. My classes have never had more than 4 people in them so I guess your secrets are safe. icon_smile.gif

I have to admit, I'm addicted to facebook. Seriously... I may need a 12 step program. I check it everyday before logging on here.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 59

But it is very very not secret place at all--not anywhere on the world wide web.

I have friends who have been fired for 'venting' online oopsie. No more job all gone poof.

There have been cakers aka venters who have come to 'vent' and the ventee sees it and oh my oh my. Not pretty, not pleasant.

It's not only a small world after all it's actually much smaller than anyone (me) ever thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not active on Facebook --I'm on there to shamelessly spy on my kids icon_biggrin.gif they know that. It' s on my wall.

But all these people want to be 'my friend' and now I got this political sh*t on 'my wall' or whatever--grr --think I'm unfriending somebody--

If I want a political debate I'll make the choice on purpose~~don't just assume everyone agrees with you and post it on FB. That is so bogus! That's looking for a fight--look elsewhere, my friend.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 59

I don't remember ever signing up for fakebook...but somehow I had an account there which I blame on my sister. She loves fakebook and so do her friends. Personally, I don't care what they ate for lunch, what they bought when they shopped last, or what their score is in some game. I don't care what anyone I went to school with now is doing either.

But I share Cake Central with everyone. What makes Cake Central great is how many people we have here, and how many of them are willing to share their ideas, recipes, tips, tricks, etc...If we keep it a big secret we're not going to learn cool new things icon_biggrin.gif

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 59

K8Memphis - Good point about being able to vent on here. I don't know any non bakers who would even want to come on here but I believe you that they do. I do understand your concern about this site becoming too popular and non cake decorators infiltrating. I'm not completely convinced that will happen unless the site itself changes to accomodate their needs. Crazy people who want to spy on their cake decorator are going to do that regardless of the site promotion. But the average person doesn't want to learn how to improve their skills, run a cake business, etc. They just want a beautiful cake that taste good.

As far as your rant about facebook. Who are you friends with, girl? LOL. icon_lol.gif I only friend my friends (just because we went to school together doesn't mean I have to friend you) and have no problem deleting someone who shares too much. I will never friend someone I work with (even those I use to work with). For me, facebook is not about my professional self. It is a place to chat with my friends.

That being sad, I did become a fan of cakecentral. Trust me, my friends won't even go to the cake central fan page, let alone join the forums of cakecentral.com. I'm not following Jackie on twitter because, well, she isn't saying anything that interests me.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 59

FaKebook----------I love it!

I signed up because my DIL is pregnant and uses the site to talk about the pregnancy. She rarely ever uses e-mail or the phone--just texts and I won't pay for texts on my plan.

Boy, I had no idea of the amount of drivel that I'd experience by also allowing some of her family members as friends!

All I can say is that some people really need to get a LIFE.......my wall is covered with updates about the virtual crap that people send to each other, the virtual crap that they planted on their farm in Farmville..........it takes me 10 minutes to sort thru it to see that my DIL is doing fine on a particular day.

I agreed for these people to be friends because I figured that blocking them would create family tension, but it sure will be hard to look them in the face without cracking up when I see them at Thanksgiving icon_eek.gif

Hell, I know EXACLTY WHAT THEY'VE BEEN DOING SINCE I LAST SAW THEM-----------wasting every minute of their lives playing on FAKEBOOK!

Rae

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

People who Facebook are lemmings.

Who you callin' a lemming? icon_mad.gif Oh, excuse me, my friends are jumping off a cliff, I must go now. icon_lol.gif

P.S. I'm being silly, not really offended.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:13pm
post #10 of 59

Rach, I'm not sure if you mean my rant or Tex's rant about FB but I think I'm fixing to de-friend the one sided political numbskull.

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 59

Yeah Mensch!
You took the word right out of my mouth. Lemmings. How much more self involved can people become? I don't follow the techno trends, and refuse to have a facebook or nitwit, I mean twit account. Just more things to keep us away from real life, and on the computer. Sheesh.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:31pm
post #12 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCathcart

Yeah Mensch!
You took the word right out of my mouth. Lemmings. How much more self involved can people become? I don't follow the techno trends, and refuse to have a facebook or nitwit, I mean twit account. Just more things to keep us away from real life, and on the computer. Sheesh.

to finish the thought ----

after all I'm already on the Facebook/Twitter of caking -- CC! what more do I need!? icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:31pm
post #13 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

All I can say is that some people really need to get a LIFE.......my wall is covered with updates about the virtual crap that people send to each other, the virtual crap that they planted on their farm in Farmville..........it takes me 10 minutes to sort thru it to see that my DIL is doing fine on a particular day.

LOL...Farmville! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I just want to tell my sister, some of us have children and others have virtual cows. Guess why I'm too busy to play with you?

The only good thing about Fakebook is that it doesn't suddenly start playing music the way Myspace does.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:10pm
post #14 of 59

Like K8 I signed up for a FB account so I could "spy" on my 2 kids...........now I'm thinking I liked it much better when I DIDN'T know what the heck they were doing. icon_rolleyes.gif

I keep getting friend requests from people that I graduated HS with almost 30 yrs ago.....ummm, didn't "friend" you in HS why would I now? icon_confused.gif

I guess I'm getting old..........I think the entire FB thing is just silly.

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:29pm
post #15 of 59

I adore Fakebook! I have relatives all over the world, it's so much easier to talk to them on it.
But some DO overdo it on the 'status updates' ... I rarely ever post what's happening in my life (cos it's boring! LOL), but I love to post little jokes and sayings.
Today's post is:
LOL has gone from meaning "laugh out loud" to "I have nothing more to say" !!
HaHa

Sweetriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetriley Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:39pm
post #16 of 59

Lemmings? No way! Most of you need to get embrace technology! Facebook is fun and not just for kids anymore....and I don't need to "get a life", I have a great one! I get a lot of business from my postings on that site. Also- your kids have to accept you as a "friend" for you to see what they are posting. AND you don't have to real all that "drivel" if you don't want to. You can just block that poster. Don't knock it until you have tried it!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #17 of 59

I find Facebook a cheap easy way to keep up with those people in other states that I cannot get together with on a regular basis. I also like being able to chat with people while doing other things like looking at CC. I do wish there was an option for the regular people out there to look at the galleries. It would make it easier for me when I am trying to help a customer come up with an idea rather than emailing them tons of pictures.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:48pm
post #18 of 59

I don't twitter and am just waiting for the day when twitter becomes like some hideous trend from the '80s where everyone is embarrassed that they used to do it.

I do use Facebook, but only to keep in touch with my family members and friends from far away. It's helped us all to stay better connected and I've really been enjoying that. I have all of my privacy settings locked down to NO, so if you search for my name I don't show up in any networks or on the web. If we're friends on Facebook, its because we are literally friends and family.

Sweetriley Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:52pm
post #19 of 59

Hey BeeBoos - have you ever thought about posting your pictures on "Flickr"? I know a lot of other bakers who do that.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:55pm
post #20 of 59

Not a fan of Twitter but I have to say I love Facebook. I live 3000 miles away from my family and everyone I grew up with so it's my lifeline to them. We can post pictures and steal them off eachother's pages instead of emailing huge files. I also get to keep up with those "stupid" daily events that I miss out on being so far away.

I have also gotten lots of orders off Facebook. Like a PP said, if you don't want to hear drivel you just "hide" or delete those people. Using a social networking site does not make you a leming. How you use it might.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm
post #21 of 59

This amuses me no end, because I just, and I do mean JUST, signed up for facebook, not five minutes ago. I don't expect to USE it much, but I got tired of my best friend going, "OH, RIGHT, I forgot when I did the Facebook invite--do you want to come to this thing I've got going on tomorrow that everyone else knew about a week ago?"

I have no trouble telling people, "I'm not your friend," though, so I don't expect I'll have tons of trouble with that...

Sweetriley Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 8:00pm
post #22 of 59

I recently found relatives in Italy I didn't know about that were on Facebook. How cool was that! (O.K. - I'm off my soapbox now!)

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 9:16pm
post #23 of 59

Sweet,
I have a web site for my pictures. What I was talking about is when I have a client and we are discussing various themes or colors etc... I go on CC and email them pictures of cakes to help them decide what they want. I would love for them to be able to come on CC and just check out the galleries then let me know what design they liked.

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm
post #24 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

FaKebook----------I love it!

I signed up because my DIL is pregnant and uses the site to talk about the pregnancy. She rarely ever uses e-mail or the phone--just texts and I won't pay for texts on my plan.

Boy, I had no idea of the amount of drivel that I'd experience by also allowing some of her family members as friends!

I agreed for these people to be friends because I figured that blocking them would create family tension, but it sure will be hard to look them in the face without cracking up when I see them at Thanksgiving icon_eek.gif

Hell, I know EXACLTY WHAT THEY'VE BEEN DOING SINCE I LAST SAW THEM-----------wasting every minute of their lives playing on FAKEBOOK!

Rae

BlakesCakes, You can hide those applications without hiding the "friend" When you see some of that FarmVille stuff, move your mouse to the top right area of the announcemnt. It will give you an option of hiding the PERONS or just hiding FarmVille. Works like a charm!

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 9:49pm
post #25 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhays

BlakesCakes, You can hide those applications without hiding the "friend" When you see some of that FarmVille stuff, move your mouse to the top right area of the announcemnt. It will give you an option of hiding the PERONS or just hiding FarmVille. Works like a charm!

Oh, you smart lady!!! Thank you!!! Hiding FarmVille and Bejeweled and whatever else I can think of right now icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:33am
post #26 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not active on Facebook --I'm on there to shamelessly spy on my kids icon_biggrin.gif they know that. It' s on my wall.

]

Hahahahahaha! That's why I started a facebook account, too! I have an account that I never post anything on, but I've had a lot of people "friend" me who I'd lost touch with...Old college friends, roommates, etc. It's kind of like an online address book for me, but I never post anything. I get tired of seeing people post their trivial thoughts and report on their locations ninety times a day.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:40am
post #27 of 59

I'd posted this link in the lounge before, but it's good for a laugh: www.tweetingtoohard.com

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:51am
post #28 of 59

I'm not knocking those of you who don't like facebook..but for me I love it because I have found friends all the way from elementary school..I moved away so I lost touch with them and I found alot of people that I went to middle school with. Its cool for people who are looking for friends they've lost touch with over the years.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:00am
post #29 of 59

I have to leave this thread now and tend to my level 130 mafia on facebook.

icon_lol.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:01am
post #30 of 59

ROFL My aunt just created a second facebook because her daughter was tired of the whatever it was taking up the whole allert page with usless gobble-de-gook. Iam thinking why not just stop playing the gobble-de-gook thing. TWO ACCOUNTS -Hello anybody home? Makes me think of those escape reality make believe games. Yes I can't wait to make in imaginary me to go shopping in the land of dorkdons or take a walk in an imaginary park filled with fairies and dragons. Aren't there enough things in real life to keep one busy?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%