Royal Icing Or Buttcream Piping On Fondant Cake?

Decorating By PinkLisa Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 8:31pm by PinkLisa

PinkLisa Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a three tiered fondant cake with SBMC crumb coat and filling. Should I do the piping work on the fondant with royal icing or buttercream? I was leaning towards royal icing but then would need to refrigerate because of the SMBC. I have read often that it's not a great idea to refrigerate royal icing. I'm not a fast decorator yet so wanted to fondant the cake on Tuesday, decorate on Wednesday and deliver on Thursday (for lunch). I don't feel comfortable leaving the SMBC out for two days. What are your thoughts?

5 replies
WildSugar Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 12:41am
post #2 of 6

I use both, just depending on what i have around. The royal icing is easier to use in warmer weather because you can make it thick and it stays thick, then dries candy-hard. Buttercream tends to melt in the heat.

I've never had a problem refrigerating royal icing, but i hear it's a big no-no to refrigerate fondant after it's on the cake. I guess it gets condensation on it and we all know what water does to fondant! LOL!

diane Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:01am
post #3 of 6

i've never had a problem refrigerating royal icing either. i also think it would look cleaner if you used royal icing. icon_wink.gif

PinkLisa Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you for your responses. I will go with royal icing.

cylstrial Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 6

I always use RI on fondant and buttercream on buttercream. =o) Good luck!

PinkLisa Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 6

Cylstrial -- do you put your fondant cake with RI in the refrigerator? I'm using SMBC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%