Cricut Question? And A Silhouette Sd Question

Decorating By HowCoolGomo1 Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 9:31pm by dutchy1971

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 16

I bought the personal, i.e Version 1.

Does anyone know if can use SCAL or the design software you have to spend another $50 on?

I really think I should send it back and get the Silhouette SD. Looks more versatile and less expensive in the long run.

15 replies
lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 16

I don't own a Cricut (yet), but I've read all the Cricut threads at least twice trying to figure out if I'd have much use for it (and the answer is yes!!!).

From what I can gather, you need just one cartridge (any will do) for the SCAL program to work. SCAL will convert the image to svg. You don't need to spend extra money for the Cricut software - just download the trial version to get the upgraded firmware.

The SCAL website (community section) has TONS of free svg files and fonts people have created themselves. The Silhouette SD looks like a great machine too, but I don't know too much about it in terms of caking.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 16

I got the cricut expression last week on sale at Michael"s and I have been doing a lot of studying and as far as I can see you have to have the SCAL if you use other templates that aren't cricut cart. I know you can get Studio Design and that will let you use your pc but still you have to have something like "sure cuts a lot" to use other templates. There are lots of other threads regarding all the digital machines to cut with and a lot of people likes the Silhouette SD and the Cricut. I am not going to use mine till I get all the info in my head just right. I hope this helps you. A lot of CC members helped me
Deborah

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 16

Thank you Ingo and Tatorchip, for your input.
I appreciated knowing, that I can have just one cartridge to use SCAL.

The thing is I didn't buy the Create or the Expressions version.

The machine I bought was their first version. I know it doesn't have the fill feature.

I have visions of grandeur of copying templates for flowers and loading into the machine. Then I won't have to spend over $50 for cutters, I may only use once in my lifetime.

I'm willing to buy a computer sketch/drawing pad, for $100.

tatorchip Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 16

here is the web site if you want info from it www.cricut.com and www.surecutsalot.com

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 16

tatorchip,

Love you dearly for responding, but the sites you just gave me aren't helping.

I've looked and not figuring it out.

tatorchip Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 16

I am so sorry but maybe someone at CC can help. Try the other Circut threads. I feel bad that I can't just bring you to my house and let you try mine out lol Please don't give up someone will come around and help you. I will also try to find someone to help you
Deborah

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 16

I'm sorry HowCoolGomo I don't really understand your question. I have the personal and I will help if I can. Are meaning you want to make stencils? If so it can be done without the cartridges by using SCAL. The SCAL is approx $60 to purchase you don not need the cricut design studio to use it, you only need the trial version to update the firmware. Once the firmware is updated to the latest version you're off and running.

HTH

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 16

I want to use SCAL with the first version of cricut.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 16

I'm a Silhouette user, and during the research I did prior to ordering, I found that all the different brands of machine are manufactured by the same company so the end results should be about the same with paper or sugar. The BIG difference is the 'software' to run the machines. With the Silhouette you do not need to purchase additional software to use designs off your computer or draw programs that you can already use to make your designs. I use Paint Shop Pro for years, and can edit what ever element I want to use for a cake design and then take it right into the Silhouette program Robo and go from there.

I think a LOT depends on how graphic savvy you are, what programs you can already use etc, that will make using the Silhouette or any machine with the added software a good choice for cake decorating. It is 'different' than using it for scrapbooking which was the original 'purpose' of the machines, but with a little experimenting you can make them do what you want them to do!

dutchy1971 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:58pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowCoolGomo1

I want to use SCAL with the first version of cricut.

yes you can. I have the personal and use it just fine.

tatorchip Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 8:33pm
post #12 of 16

thanks dutch1971 and bisbqueenb for helping HowCoolGomo1, I really felt bad, I think I didn't understand everything HowCoolGomo1 wanted to know. I knew someone would step up and help thanks again,

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 8:50pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

thanks dutch1971 and bisbqueenb for helping HowCoolGomo1, I really felt bad, I think I didn't understand everything HowCoolGomo1 wanted to know. I knew someone would step up and help thanks again,

Don't ever feel bad tatorchip! You helped me. I posted something about airbrushes and people like me. I think I helped.

I don't have a clue, this is the reason I asked. I need help from people that actually know what they are doing.

You helped huge!

I'm probably sending it back, I just don't trust it.

tatorchip Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 8:56pm
post #14 of 16

oh thanks I feel better now, but do try to get a digital cutter, I think I will love mine so far I have lots of templates from the web (free) and they are just waiting for me to plug in the circut. I am almost ready to give it a try with fondant (after one try with paper) lol

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 9:26pm
post #15 of 16

tatorchip
Gees, don't feel bad ever!

You're an artist.

dutchy1971 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 9:31pm
post #16 of 16

howcoolgomo what is it you don't trust? SCAL works with all versions of cricut. If you need more help one of us will be happy to help you further

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%