Crumb Coat

Decorating By aluvs2bake Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 9:33pm by JanH

aluvs2bake Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 4

Hello!!
Everytime I do a crumb coat, the edges tear away from the cake and sometimes the frosting does not stick very well. I do not know if it is my frosting consistancy or what. The recipes I use for the cakes seem to fall apart as well, I thought pound cake was a good cake to use for decorating. What is a good kind of cake? And How do I do the crumb coat right?
Thanx!

3 replies
indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 4

sounds like your icing is too thick. thin it down with more milk or water (whatever you use in your recipe).

tatorchip Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 4

go on you tube and type in crumb coating cakes and also go to the members list and type in xstitcher and I am sure if you pm her she would be glad to help you, she helped me so much. good luck, I am to new but I can try to lead you in the right direction

JanH Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 4

Hi and Welcome to CC, aluvs2bake. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above superthread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

As to your original question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Most people crumb coat in order to seal in the crumbs on a freshly baked cake so that the crumbs don't appear on the finished iced surface.

I always crumb coat out of habit.

I lightly ice the cake with buttercream to the point where I can still see the color of the cake. I let it sit or refrigerate it at this point (because the crumb coat acts like a layer of saran wrap).

My icing only lightly crusts, but this just means that when you touch it, no icing comes up on your finger. When I go to put on the finish coat of icing, I get no cake crumbs on the surface this way. Another benefit can be that, especially in hot weather, the finished coat of icing is less likely to slide off of the cake sides.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%