Cake Icing Cracks

Decorating By kakedreamer1212 Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 2:02am by dandelion56602

kakedreamer1212 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 10:00am
post #1 of 6

Ok, I've had about all I can take! Can anyone please tell me why the buttercream icing on my cakes get hairline surface cracks? I'm using an all shortening, crusting buttercream and using meringue powder but my cakes develop surface cracks in the icing. Whats causing this and is there any way to fix them? I know it's not because my cake board is not sturdy enough for the weight of the cake, I use 3 boards for most of my smaller cakes. For example: 4 and 6 inch stacked. Help please!!!! icon_cry.gif

5 replies
Malakin Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 10:47am
post #2 of 6

I had this problem. I started using Sugarshacks BC icing. I also learned that the meringue powder sometimes cause this problem for me. Also, I usually add a little more liquid too as the stiffer the bc, the more prone it is to crack.

costumeczar Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 6

It could be that you're using the no trans-fat shortenings, mine was doing that when Crisco changed their formula. If you switch to a trans-fat store brand it helps.

1234me Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:09am
post #4 of 6

how long ar you letting the cake sit out to room air once it has been decorated? I find that mine crack more if I don't put them in the box and keep air from getting to them.

kakedreamer1212 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:47am
post #5 of 6

I made 2 cakes last night and seems like they started cracking right away pretty much.

dandelion56602 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:02am
post #6 of 6

Had you moved them after decorating? Could it be that your support isn't strong enough for the cake? I've only had this problem once & it was like the icing crusted too much, but don't know what caused it (I too use Sugarshack's recipe)

Quote by @%username% on %date%