Fondant Falling Apart

Decorating By wmfanucchi Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 11:00pm by kcmarie

wmfanucchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wmfanucchi Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:59am
post #1 of 6

I am working on a cake for a party tomorrow. I'm using Satin Ice. It is literally tearing and falling apart. It was sticky when I took it out of the bucket but last time I used it it was so dry it kept cracking. I really worked it and added a bit of crisco. Now it is so soft it is pulling apart every time I try to lay it on the cake. Any ideas?

5 replies
aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:05am
post #2 of 6

you can try adding some cornstarch or poweder sugar. that may help it from being so sticky.
im not too experience with fondant. but its worth a shot.
good luck!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:25am
post #3 of 6

If it was sticky ps might have been the better bet. The shortening probably softened it up too much. If you have some Wilton fondant handy you might try adding that to the Satin Ice. I know that Blakescakes addes 1/3 wilton to her Satin Ice and says it still tastes great but has a better consistency. You could also try adding a tiny bit of tylose/gum tex to see if that will help.

wmfanucchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wmfanucchi Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:57am
post #4 of 6

Thank you both. I added powdered sugar and it helped. (I got the message about adding the wilton too late.) I still had alot of stretching and I had to patch one cake near the bottom. I am going to stop by the craft store tomorrow to buy some ribbon to cover it. I am making multiple 4" cakes of different colors. I had just enough fondant for the three of them and should have known better and prepped some extra. Thank you for posting. I'll post pictures in the next few days.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 8:06am
post #5 of 6

Glad to hear you got it working for you a little better. Good thing we have decorations for cakes, they hide all the imperfections! icon_lol.gif

kcmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcmarie Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 6

I'm having the same problem. My fondant was sticking when rolling out so I added some powder sugar, then started falling apart. I added more crisco and nothing seems to help. Any suggestions???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%