Choco Covered Strawberries

Decorating By cbearsmom_07 Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm by cbearsmom_07

cbearsmom_07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cbearsmom_07 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:48am
post #1 of 11

Hi There,

I'm going to attempt to make some chocolate covered strawberries for the first time tomorrow. Any tips? They will be made a day before they are going to be placed on the cake. I have ingredients for ganache and extra chips.

10 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:52am
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbearsmom_07

Hi There,

I'm going to attempt to make some chocolate covered strawberries for the first time tomorrow. Any tips? They will be made a day before they are going to be placed on the cake. I have ingredients for ganache and extra chips.

You will probably get different opinions on this, but here's my take.

I would not make them a day a head...the sugar in the chocolate will cause the strawberries to start to mascerate [liquid coming out of them].

I've never had good luck doing them a day ahead.

Also, start with room temp berries that are dry too!

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:56am
post #3 of 11

I agree with Jeff_Arnett. You definitely want dry room temp strawberries. If you absolutely have to do them the day before then don't refrigerate them once they're done.
Good luck

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:59am
post #4 of 11

[quote="Jeff_Arnett"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbearsmom_07

They will be made a day before they are going to be placed on the cake.

I like to dip mine and place them directly on the cake...as the chocolate hardens it will adhere the berries to the cake.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:00am
post #5 of 11

Use a paper towel and dry them thoroughly. Have them room temp or the chill will thicken your chocolate. Don't use too ripe of fruit.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:09am
post #6 of 11

i agree with the above posts. also do you poke or spear your strawberries prior to dipping them. i know some people use toothpick or skewer to hold the strawberries while dipping them. if you do then the strawberries will leak.
i use either a dipping fork that cradles the strawberry instead on poking a hole.
make sure the strawberries are wiped clean. do not wash them. just use a dry paper towel. and i would make them the same day. the longer they sit the better change you have they will leak.
HTH-good luck. and a choco covered strawberry sounds sooooooooo good right now!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:24am
post #7 of 11

I actually hold them in my fingers and dip them......I think they look nice with only partial chocolate coat....however other times I use chocolate dipping wand to dip...not sure what to call it, I also use it to dip chocolate eggs at Easter, its rectangle at the end.

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:24am
post #8 of 11

thats what i do madge!! i just hand dip them, also, i just use the chippits chocolate chips i just melt them in a glass double boiler and off i go!!! mmmm maybe ill make some tomorrow!!,

Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:33am
post #9 of 11

I also dip my strawberries the day it will be served. If u put them in the fridge they get moist...If possible try making them early that morning...

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:39am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebea

I also dip my strawberries the day it will be served. If u put them in the fridge they get moist...

And they'll sweat when you take them out, making the choc go soft.

Why not wash them? Considering it's a fruit that grows on the ground, I would definitely wash them (rinse in a colander, not scrub), then leave on a paper towel to dry. The general rule for fruits and vegs is that if you are not removing the skin, then you must wash it. If you are cutting thru the skin, even if you aren't eating the skin, you must wash it (cantalope, watermelon). Oranges, bananas, don't need to be washed - the skin is being removed without touching the part you're eating. The washing gets rid of pesticides, dirt, bugs, etc. Stores often coat their fresh veg and fruits with a wax to give them a bit of a shine. You want that gone, too.

cbearsmom_07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cbearsmom_07 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for all the replies ladies! Sorry I'm just now getting back to you. What I ended up doing was melting 1 pk semi sweet chocolate chips and 1/4 bar of parafin wax together. I washed, let dry, then dipped the berries and they turned out wonderful. I did do them the day before and they turned out great! They lasted 3 days in the fridge (2 days after the party). I was really surprised. I think that the wax in the choc helped presever them. They tasted great, not waxy at all but just enough wax to harden and stay shiny.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%