Icing Mini-Cakes

Decorating By tomsmom245 Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 5:19am by xstitcher

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:34am
post #1 of 16

I am in a nightmare! I need to make 20 mini-cakes (2.5 inches) iced in buttercream for Sunday. I have never done this before and I tried to ice one tonight. OMW! No matter how much I thinned the icing it would not stick. The cake was too crumbly. I cut the cake out with a cutter so there are no nice clean sides to start with.

Anyone out there that can give some tips?

15 replies
sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:53am
post #2 of 16

Have you tried doing a crumb-coat first to make all the crumbs stick to the cake instead of the icing?
That's the only thing I can think of.
Good luck

tomsmom245 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:56am
post #3 of 16

I can't even get it to crumb coat. The icing just doesn't want to stick. I have never had this problem with any other cake I have done. My cake isn't dried out or overly moist, it's just crumbly from where I cut it. I just don't know what to do icon_cry.gif

prayerwarrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prayerwarrior Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:57am
post #4 of 16

Maybe if you crumb coat them using thin buttercream, set them under a fan to crust and then ice them. Just a thought, It works on cakes, maybe it would work on your mini's also

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:57am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcm51

Have you tried doing a crumb-coat first to make all the crumbs stick to the cake instead of the icing?
That's the only thing I can think of.
Good luck

Use a cake bag with a #10-#12 round tip and pipe the icing up and down in a zig-zag on the sides and top, then run a spatula around to smooth.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:57am
post #6 of 16

When was it baked? What kind of recipe or mix? Did you freeze it?

Why are there no nice clean sides? You didn't freeze it when you cut it?

Could you brush them with strained warmed apricot preserves so the icing will stick?

Have you ever tried an icer tip in a big piping bag???

-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:59am
post #7 of 16

I'm just so proud of you for not starting them Saturday night for Sunday!

((big hug)))

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:06am
post #8 of 16

Try freezing one and see if that helps. I make mini cakes and they behave a lot better if you only handle them frozen. They don't sweat too bad when thawing out either, even with fondant.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 9:32pm
post #9 of 16

apparently a coating of simple syrup can help to stick down crumbs too.
xx

-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 10:15pm
post #10 of 16

So how's it going?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm
post #11 of 16

I just did a few two days ago for a special tasting/sampling for some venue owners. Here are the pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/

I "iced" two and said, "The heck with THIS!" See the 2nd pic (with the one dollar bill laying next to it). I used a star tip and did an up and down motion (as described above) and left that as the design. Told hubby I might consider doing these cakes for a customer but they will NOT be smooth-iced. They get the star tip sides only.

When doing the up-n-down motion, it's not too bad.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 11:45pm
post #12 of 16

Can I have the German chocolate one? mmmmm

tomsmom245 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:45am
post #13 of 16

Debi those look yummy!

Memphis- They have crumbly sides because I cut them out of a sheet cake with a cutter. I baked the cake on Thursday and cut a test one out yesterday. I got so aggravated with all the issues that I just threw it away and decided to come in here and ask what to do.

I have made some simple syrup and will see if that helps or not. I also thew one in the freezer to see if that is an option.

I'll be back to let you know.

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:58am
post #14 of 16

if I ever use a cutter I always freeze before crumb coating......I HATE trying to put icing on a cut side of cake. Freezing will definately work for you.

tomsmom245 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:44am
post #15 of 16

Simple syrup and crumb coat went pretty well. Icing actually stuck. When I went to ice them the 2nd time the crumb coat pulled off in places. I slapped it on there the best I could. Looks messy icon_sad.gif

Still waiting on the other test one to freeze. I can guarantee you that I won't be doing this again anytime soon. Still wanting to scrap the whole thing and make cupcakes. I don't think my friend would be too happy with that but I am tired and I don't particularly care right now. Problem is I like a challenge and hate when I can't do something.

So, for now, I will stick with it.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:19am
post #16 of 16

Freezing should help but either way these are a pan in the you know what.
Looking forward to your updates.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%