Scott Clark Woolley Dvd

Decorating By sweetreasures Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 1:29am by ChristineJ

sweetreasures Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:47am
post #1 of 23

I've read in other forums about SCW dvd's being highly recommended. I'd like to hear from someone who has used them. Are they worth it? He has some on his web site on sale and I'm interested in the Amazing Art of Gumpaste Sugar Flowers. I've tried unsuccessfully to obtain the book by the same name before buying the DVD.

I have purchased other's books on the subject and was disappointed with the lack of direction and quality look of the flowers. I'm looking for something along the lines of an intermediate level and amazing looking flowers.

thanks

22 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:55am
post #2 of 23

I have all Scott's DVDs and I highly recommend them. They are very expensive, granted, but it's like having a perpetual class with Scott himself available whenever you need it. I even bought the orchids video not because I wanted to learn orchids but he has a lot of info on coloring flowers in it which is extremely useful. I also have his book which is step by step instructions for most all his flowers. Hope that helps some.

jennabell441 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:57am
post #3 of 23

I'm not sure about his DVDs but I buy most of my cutters and veiners from him and have loved everything I have ordered.

sweetreasures Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:08am
post #4 of 23

yes, I like the metal cutters vs plastic.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:58am
post #5 of 23

I really like Scott.

I think you need at least one of his videos to set the basis of his book.
His book is a tremendous reference manual.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:16am
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I have all Scott's DVDs and I highly recommend them. They are very expensive, granted, but it's like having a perpetual class with Scott himself available whenever you need it. I even bought the orchids video not because I wanted to learn orchids but he has a lot of info on coloring flowers in it which is extremely useful. I also have his book which is step by step instructions for most all his flowers. Hope that helps some.

Scott got mad at me a few years ago for saying I thought his videos were expensive....told me to never try and order from him again! I've had no contact with him since then.

That said, his work is excellent and his cutters, veiners and equipment are top of the line as well....and he will answer questions promptly is you ask.

He has some previews of his dvds on YouTube....just search for him....might help you with your decision to buy.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:19am
post #7 of 23

Nic Lodge's are much more reasonable--Scott's are expensive.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:31am
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Nic Lodge's are much more reasonable--Scott's are expensive.

I love Nick Lodges' DVD1 - Video Catalog for $19.99 available from www.internationalsugarart.com

He demos about every tool you could need for gumpaste, shows you how to make gumpaste and then demonstrates how to make a rose using the 5 petal all in one cutter.

This is a great video for some who is just starting out in gum paste, or for someone to see if it would really interest them.

icer101 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:47am
post #9 of 23

i have all of his dvd's and book. they are wonderful. i have most of nicks. and his books .i love them both..plastic cutters? metal cutters? i like them all.. fmm plastic.. jem plastic. pme plastic.. great cutters. have g/p or fondant right.. thin, whatever.. twist the cutters a little. turn over.. press with your finger around what you are cutting.. nice petals, etc. just got to get use to using any of them.. hth

Jeff_Arnett Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:53am
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

i have all of his dvd's and book. they are wonderful. i have most of nicks. and his books .i love them both..plastic cutters? metal cutters? i like them all.. fmm plastic.. jem plastic. pme plastic.. great cutters. have g/p or fondant right.. thin, whatever.. twist the cutters a little. turn over.. press with your finger around what you are cutting.. nice petals, etc. just got to get use to using any of them.. hth

Yep...I have cutters made of every kind of material....all work fine when used properly!

dailey Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:58am
post #11 of 23

i have scott's and nic's dvd's, as well as a few others. scott's are definitely the best and most realistic out there. and his cutters are awesome too : )

StaceyCakes75 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:16am
post #12 of 23

Ok just checked out some of his youtube videos. I think he has a wealth of information, and for that I would buy the videos. But I must say is he for real with the singing? Not sure if I can get past that. He really should just stick to cakes.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:26am
post #13 of 23

He used to be on the soaps. I haven't heard the singing tapes. But in the first one, with his back to the camera he takes off his robe & jumps in the pool bare naked. He invites his viewers to 'take the plunge' and do something new like make gum paste flowers. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sweetreasures Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:37pm
post #14 of 23

thanks everyone for your input. I think watching a dvd would be helpful in addition to the book if I could just find a copy of it. His web site indicates there will be a new printing of the book in spring of 2010.

K8memphis, that is the Utube I saw as well. My computer is so stinking slow that it took all day for it to play and I haven't been able to view again since.

Sassy74 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:24pm
post #15 of 23

Yeah, the singing and watching him jump naked into a swimming pool sort of turned my stomach. But I can't argue with the quality of his flowers!

-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:29pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetreasures

K8memphis, that is the Utube I saw as well. My computer is so stinking slow that it took all day for it to play and I haven't been able to view again since.

Once was enough for me!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Does he sing on the jump in the pool naked dvd???
If he does I guess the shock of the end of the video erased my memory of the crooning.

cylstrial Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy74

Yeah, the singing and watching him jump naked into a swimming pool sort of turned my stomach. But I can't argue with the quality of his flowers!

icon_confused.gif LOL

tootie0809 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:50pm
post #18 of 23

I have a couple of his DVDs and agree they are wonderful and totally worth the price! As for the jumping in the pool at the end of the 1st DVD, I personally found it hilarious! I think it's part of his sense of humor. I don't mind the singing either. I think it's great Scott is not afraid to be who he is.

I also agree his cutters and veiners and other tools are top-notch quality at a very reasonable price.

Right now is a great time to buy some of his DVDs too. He's having a 30% off sale right now. Hey, I might even get a new DVD myself now that this subject came up and the sale is still going on!

I think you'd be very happy with his DVDs. If you want to learn sugar flowers, you will not be disappointed with Scott's instruction! icon_smile.gif Good luck!

sweetreasures Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 8:22pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetreasures

Once was enough for me!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Does he sing on the jump in the pool naked dvd???
If he does I guess the shock of the end of the video erased my memory of the crooning.

lol when I viewed the tube he was naked but blurred out. I only wanted to watch again for the instructions icon_wink.gif

tootie0809 I did a comparison on the tools and found Scott's were comparable / reasonable . I'm leaning towards purchasing the DVD. It sure helped to view a portion of it online and hear from those of you who have used it.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 8:47pm
post #20 of 23

I think his floral skills are brilliant. And he's a very nice person.

2sweetcookies Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 9:32pm
post #21 of 23

I have also been considering his dvds and book. My biggest question is which one to start with. I cannot afford them all, mabe one or two. Can anyone reccomend one to start with. I figured I could learn some of the more simple flowers from the book (I also have the wilton gumpaste flower book and tools).

LADYCAKES Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:53am
post #22 of 23

Please can anyone tell me if he sings all through the videos? Or perhaps, just and the beginning or end.

ChristineJ Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:29am
post #23 of 23

Yes, I say that he has the best book and video's, and I bought the book about 2 years ago and I bought 2 of his video's, which helped me alot, plus I bought alot of his cutters. He is suppose to come out with a few more things soon, I don't have any regrets at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%