Oh Holy Ow!

Decorating By varika Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 4:16pm by Rylan

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:29am
post #1 of 8

So. Making petie fours, right? It's my second time, and the first time didn't get beyond "they look like kitchen sponge chunks." I have been trying out different ways of using Michelle Foster's fondant to cover them this time, because the cake came out great this time.

1. Rollin' rollin' rollin'...makes nice but still kind of frustratingly wrinkly finished product. probably my inexperience with fondant speaking.

2 Melt and pour....better pour fast if you want to cover it, and it dries so hard it's tough to get them off the wire rack, much less trimming drips off.

3. OH CRUD THE NAPALM!! ....do not even TRY to dip. Cake is less dense than fondant and poking leads to OMG PAAAAAAAAAAAIN...

Petit fours: 4, Varika: -257!

7 replies
blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:39am
post #2 of 8

aaaghhhh. Sorry to hear about that.

Those little guys must be devils to make, I've heard a lot of people complain about them. I've not tried. I have no intention of introducing that brand of stress into my life. I have a tough enough time with the big cakes, let alone the itty bitty ones!

Sounds like it's time to sit down with a good glass of wine and laugh this one off!

Cheers!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:29am
post #3 of 8

Spray some "pam" on your rack, they will release easier that way. I have better luck "spooning" the poured fondant on them. No matter what they are a bear. Have fun. thumbs_up.gif

hjustesen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hjustesen Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:24am
post #4 of 8

I tried petite fours once, and they were a MESS! They sure tasted good, but looked awful. I may play with them again--but only for fun, never for pay because they are way too much work and I know they wouldn't turn out right. =)

HeatherWantsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherWantsCake Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 8

I've never tried petit fours (and now I don't want to!) and I'm sorry this happened to you but, I gotta say,

"OH CRUD THE NAPALM"

was Diet-Coke-out-the-nose funny! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

planetsomsom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planetsomsom Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 8

you pour over them while they are sitting on a rack? If you're pouring, it's easier to sit them onto something that is smaller than the bottom of the cake so the ganache (or whatever using) just drips straight off instead of pooling around it. No fuss, no muss.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsomsom

you pour over them while they are sitting on a rack? If you're pouring, it's easier to sit them onto something that is smaller than the bottom of the cake so the ganache (or whatever using) just drips straight off instead of pooling around it. No fuss, no muss.

I'm confused. you cut little one inch squares of cardboard for them to sit on? icon_confused.gif When they are sitting on a rack, the ganche/topping drips straight off.

But I understand what the other person is saying. THe part that drips off the petit four dries to the rack, making it hard to pick up the dried petit four.

Been there, too.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks Loucinda for the tip.

What I do is, I let the excess drizzle in the rack and then transfer it to a pan covered in parchment paper for the whole thing to dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%