Painintg On Fondant

Decorating By dnrlee Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 3:17pm by TTerri

dnrlee Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:29am
post #1 of 9

How much food coloring and lemon extract do I mix together? Last time I tried, it took FOREVER to dry. What did I do wrong?

8 replies
KHalstead Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:35am
post #2 of 9

use americolor gels straight out of the bottle.........they work perfectlly!!!

prterrell Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:26am
post #3 of 9

I don't measure it. But, it doesn't take much of the food dye. I'd try 1 tbsp of alcohol with one drop of food color. If that's not opaque enough, then add another drop at a time.

sadsmile Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:40am
post #4 of 9

The gels have glycerin int hem and that keeps them from drying out. It takes a long time if painted on thick and if painted on fresh wet fondant it won't ever really dry to the touch. It will look dry but will still smudge and come off on your hands.

tracey1970 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:30am
post #5 of 9

I too just eyeball it. I put a bit of gel colour onto a plate, using a toothpick, and then add vodka, using an eye dropper, a few drops at a time until I get the consistency I want. It will take a bit to dry, and the thicker you leave the paint, the longer it takes to dry. If you really "vodka" it down, it will dry faster, but the colour will also be a bit lighter too.

dnrlee Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 11:16am
post #6 of 9

thank you all so much for the tips!

TTerri Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:05pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrlee

thank you all so much for the tips!

I still have not found an icing that smooths on cake like it does on all the FNW challenges. Is it becaue I'm not using shortening? And after making a batch of buttercream and refridgerating it, does it need to be rewhipped before using?

dnrlee Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 9

What kind of buttercream are you using?

TTerri Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 9

I have used butter, shortening and egg whites and I still cant get it fluffy. Any suggestions?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%