Can This Cake Be Scaled Down?

Business By kellertur Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 3:50pm by LaBellaFlor

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:13am
post #1 of 18

I'm sorry I have no idea who's cake this is, but it was emailed to me. I realize it's actually more servings (14" cakes or so in photo) than this couple wants, but can anyone help me figure out pillar, plate, stair and fountain size?
(They will not be using a castle topper.)

It will accomodate roughly 108 servings:

four 8" rounds
one 6" round on top of 8" (under castle in photo)

I spoke to a local bakery and he said it was impossible to scale it down that much and still use the accessories (fountain, stairs)... is it possible?

Thank you
LL

17 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:20am
post #2 of 18

There used to be some roman columns that were plain without the arches on top and you could take off the top section of the fountain and I think you can use a 14 inch plate becasue the fountain is 12" if memory serves...so you can use four pillars instead of six--I've done that in the past...now I'll go check...and see if they still make that stuff... icon_biggrin.gif

But you gotta put at least a 12 inch cake on it or it looks funny.

Stairs are stairs I don't think they come in sizes--might be a little difference between manufacturers though--you just place the cakes out farther from the fountain to get it all to balance.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:32am
post #3 of 18

Yes you can use the fountain with a 14" plate--you could use the 10.25 inch Roman pillars by removing the top section of the fountain--I think I know I've done stuff like this before--you gotta check it all out though--

Interesting that they don't even make the Kolor-flo fountain anymore.

I always had the off brand ones but...anyhow...

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:34am
post #4 of 18

what about doing a single 12" layer w/ a single 8" layer and then add the 6" on top of that?? Then you'd have the 12" on top of the fountain (helping to fill in that dead space) and then the 8" so that it didn't seem like such a HUGE difference in size from the 6" to the 12"??? would that work?? Wouldn't be too terribly much more servings that the original 2 layered 8" cake would it?

-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:37am
post #5 of 18

And then some six inch satellites?

kellertur Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:05am
post #6 of 18

For the 12" cake, I don't quite follow. Do you mean single layers?

I've never made a cake this traditional before and the photos not very clear. I think there are scrolls or something on the cakes?

Thanks for your help. icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:26am
post #7 of 18

For visual effect, have you considered possibly a dummy tier?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:34am
post #8 of 18

I think using a dummy tier would do the trick, if the client wants to go with the exact look if not then I think the idea to use single layers is a good idea.

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:15am
post #9 of 18

I suggest dummie cakes.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:46am
post #10 of 18

Hello, Just a thought, could the cake tiers consist of: main cake = 6" and 10", use larger size roses at the bottom border to cover up space of plate it sits on over the colums, the sat. cakes =2-8" and 1-6" =110 servs?
The two 6" and 2-8" will offer balance to the design. I hope this helps.
Hammy

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:37pm
post #11 of 18

Do your B&G understand their cake will not look exactly like pix if 'scaled down'? Do you know that dummy cakes cost as much or more to make? I have everything in my kitchen to make cake. I will have to invest in another dummy or tear one apart to "loan". Be sure if that is the case they pay for total cost of dummy and time and materials. Then they can spray with shellac and have another dust catcher to remind them of their special day.

kellertur Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:45am
post #12 of 18

I'm starting to wonder about this "order" because it's the MOB doing the footwork. I'm not going to be meeting or dealing with B or G at all, and that makes me very nervous. No paperwork's been signed, I told her I didn't want ANY money or signiture until this is all sorted out.

Here's the deal: Wedding is HUGE 200-400 people but only a small portion will be eating cake (50-100), many will eat other desserts. She's sent 3 photos (similar design, slightly different), but told ME to chose which one would look best. I explained she untilmately makes that decision, but I could advise. We've exchanged 12 emails and it's going in circles... wedding is next month.

What would you (please) suggest? Is this a disaster waiting to happen?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:52am
post #13 of 18

Wedding is next month & what do I suggest? A signed contract with a designed picked with full understanding of cake size,paid in full.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:50am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Wedding is next month & what do I suggest? A signed contract with a designed picked with full understanding of cake size,paid in full.

My thoughts exactly, if next conversation sounded any way like the past conversations or communications, I would pass on this cake just to save my sanity. LOL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:22am
post #15 of 18

Yes, it can be scaled down. I was cake-weened on making fountain/stair cakes, and I made them for 100-125 all the time. icon_wink.gif

Here's a pic of one I did recently: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1437261

It serves about 130. I used the regular 18" fountain stand, but you can use 16" plates easy under 12" cake. If you put the 12" cake on a 14" board/drum, on a 16" plate, it will proportion out ok.

Here's a better pic showing similar arrangement (12" cake on 14" board on 18" plate): http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1297425

Use 6" cakes on the table instead of 8" cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:26am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Here's the deal: Wedding is HUGE 200-400 people but only a small portion will be eating cake (50-100), many will eat other desserts. ...... What would you (please) suggest? Is this a disaster waiting to happen?

I just saw this part. I'd first counsel her on buying less than 20-30% of her guests wedding cake! icon_surprised.gif

How in the world does she KNOW only 50 people out of 400 will eat cake? icon_confused.gif Is she going to ink-stamp their hands at the door "Yes-cake" and "No Cake For You!" or something?

Many (most?) guests will expect to get wedding cake, whether there are other desserts there or not. When (not IF,but WHEN) she runs out of cake and people are complaining, I would bet the wedding will be talked about on www.etiquettehell.com!

-K8memphis Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:56am
post #17 of 18

Yes what Indy said but also it's a month out and they are having that much wiggle room with the number of guests? 200 to 400? Wow
Flaky McFlakykins huh.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:50pm
post #18 of 18

I agree K8. that is a huge number gap & it doesn't seem like their doing proper planning. I wouldn't take this order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%