Something I Tried....seems To Work With Imbc

Decorating By 3GCakes Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 11:26pm by snowboarder

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 17

I usually use IMBC, and I have the hardest time getting the top of my cake nice and flat and level. So today I decided I would try something, because I am doing a cake that I am going to put a full-circle painting on and I wanted to be sure the top was flat.

SO.....once I iced the cake, I put some waxed paper on top. Then I put the same-sized pan on top of the cake, and put one layer of ice in it. It was kind of heavy. I gave it a little smoosh and stuck it in the fridge for a few hours.

When I took it out, the IMBC had solidified....was very level and almost perfectly flat.

16 replies
sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 17

Great tip. Thanks!
icon_smile.gif

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

I usually use IMBC, and I have the hardest time getting the top of my cake nice and flat and level. So today I decided I would try something, because I am doing a cake that I am going to put a full-circle painting on and I wanted to be sure the top was flat.

SO.....once I iced the cake, I put some waxed paper on top. Then I put the same-sized pan on top of the cake, and put one layer of ice in it. It was kind of heavy. I gave it a little smoosh and stuck it in the fridge for a few hours.

When I took it out, the IMBC had solidified....was very level and almost perfectly flat.

This is similar to a technique I created a few years ago called upside down icing....I found out that some else has now posted my technique on youtube without giving me any credit....but I don't really care.

Basically, you trace the outline of your pan on a piece of smooth board. Cover with parchment paper [I later changed to the thick clear vinyl you buy by the yard at walmart] ice an area about 1/2 inch larger than the outline, stack and fill the layers and ice and smooth the sides. Then into the refrigerator for a few hours to solidify. Add a cakeboard to the "bottom" which is really the the top right now, then turn over and peel off the parchment or vinyl slowly....you will have a very smooth top with a perfectly even and sharp edge.

THe picture tutorial is located at:

http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/message/saved/UpsideDownIcing.htm

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:25am
post #4 of 17

Cool! Love the tutorial Jeff!

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:30am
post #5 of 17

All I can say is OMG icon_surprised.gif

I can't wait to try this! Thank you. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:56am
post #6 of 17

Fantastic tutorial, Jeff. The pictures are terrific..... the descriptors are too! Thanks so much for sharing. thumbs_up.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:56am
post #7 of 17

Hey Jeff!

I tried the upside down technique that I saw on here once, probably a year or so ago, but I don't think I let it chill enough.

Thanks for your tutorial. My cake wasn't nearly as perfect.

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:05am
post #8 of 17

Jeff, I've tried, and loved, many of your recipes posted on the "other cake board". I always know I can trust a "Jeff Recipe". Good to see you here, too.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 11:59am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

Hey Jeff!

I tried the upside down technique that I saw on here once, probably a year or so ago, but I don't think I let it chill enough.

Thanks for your tutorial. My cake wasn't nearly as perfect.

Your particular icing recipe can make quite a bit of difference....some folks have found that they needed to put their cake in the freezer for a while to get it really solid before peeling off the parchment or vinyl.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:22pm
post #10 of 17

Thanks for sharing this. I wish I could have enlarged the pictures though because I am not 100% sure what to do after icing the cake upside down. Let me see if I get this.....

Once the cake is on the pre-chilled circle icing, filled and iced....I use the hot knife up against it to smooth it....okay I get that since I do that anyway. BUT am I now try to get rid of the extra icing that extends past the drawn circle? Or once you ice the cake it has already extended to that point and I would just be smoothing it out?

Not sure if I am asking correctly and I apologize if I sound stupid......I haven't had my coffee yet! icon_sad.gif I would really like to try this since I am alsways happy with my sides, but not so happy with the top. And can this work with any shape cake?

Jeff_Arnett Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:49pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

Thanks for sharing this. I wish I could have enlarged the pictures though because I am not 100% sure what to do after icing the cake upside down. Let me see if I get this.....

Once the cake is on the pre-chilled circle icing, filled and iced....I use the hot knife up against it to smooth it....okay I get that since I do that anyway. BUT am I now try to get rid of the extra icing that extends past the drawn circle? Or once you ice the cake it has already extended to that point and I would just be smoothing it out?

Not sure if I am asking correctly and I apologize if I sound stupid

Not at all....since you are only going about 1/2 inch bigger than the cake, by the time you ice the sides it should be pretty much to the circle's edge. If not, you can just scrape any extra away before smoothing the side...as the knife smooths the sides, it usually does a pretty good job of cleaning up the extra icing on the board.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:05pm
post #12 of 17

THANKS! Can't wait to try it!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:09pm
post #13 of 17

hmmmm i wanna try this with ganache...

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:13pm
post #14 of 17

i *love* the upside-down technique!!! i used it with my smbc when i need my cakes to be near-perfect! thanks jeff for sharing...

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:43pm
post #15 of 17

I viewed the Youtube demonstration of this technique a while ago. The video was very informative. Better than still pictures to me. Here's where to view it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UOA_WtKaOY&feature=related

Jeff - why didn't you post your tutorial on CakeCentral rather than Sugar... craft?

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:20pm
post #16 of 17

Oh, and Cakemom777, I'm goingh to try your ice in a pan trick. I use Italian Meringue Buttercream, and love to find new tips about it. Thanks

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 11:26pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

This is similar to a technique I created a few years ago called upside down icing....I found out that some else has now posted my technique on youtube without giving me any credit....but I don't really care.

Basically, you trace the outline of your pan on a piece of smooth board. Cover with parchment paper [I later changed to the thick clear vinyl you buy by the yard at walmart] ice an area about 1/2 inch larger than the outline, stack and fill the layers and ice and smooth the sides. Then into the refrigerator for a few hours to solidify. Add a cakeboard to the "bottom" which is really the the top right now, then turn over and peel off the parchment or vinyl slowly....you will have a very smooth top with a perfectly even and sharp edge.

THe picture tutorial is located at:

http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/message/saved/UpsideDownIcing.htm

Hi Jeff! Wow, I remember you and your pic tutorial from another message board waaay back. I love the upside-down technique and still use it. Good to see you around these parts!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%