Costco Powdered Sugar

Decorating By radtech Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 3:19am by HowCoolGomo1

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone know if Costo'c powdered sugar is a good brand, it is called US 10x powdered sugar.

10 replies
momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:08am
post #2 of 11

I use it all the time and I really like it.

juliebold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliebold Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:17am
post #3 of 11

The only kind I use. Never a problem.

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:18am
post #4 of 11

I use it all the time and only have one minor complaint about it, but considering it's half the price of anything I can get in the grocery store, I don't mind a bit. When I'm sifting it, sometimes I have issues with hard granules that can't be sifted but I just sift the rest then shake those bits out. It's not much of a problem for me seeing as I make sure to sift it no matter what anyway. I think it's a great deal.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:52am
post #5 of 11

After seeing the 10x thread the other day I made a point of reading the packages of all of the PS inthe stores yesterday. I cannot find anywhere on any package where it states that it is 10x. What am I missing?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:58am
post #6 of 11

If it doesn't say it is 10X, then it usually isn't. I like the convenience of the p/s from Costco, but I hate the fact I HAVE to sift it for every batch of icing I make.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:18am
post #7 of 11

What's the 10X represent? Haven't heard of this before.

In our Costco (in Hamilton, Ontario) the cost of PS is pretty much the same as in the grocery store - and it only comes in 1 kg (2.2 lb) bags. Haven't had a Costco membership in years - I spend way too much when I go there for just a few things. icon_redface.gif

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:34am
post #8 of 11

I use the Costco sugar - never had a problem! icon_smile.gif

StarbucksAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StarbucksAddict Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:45am
post #9 of 11

I did notice it does have cornstarch in it, but I also never read the back of my Domino PS to see if that had it too...

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:03am
post #10 of 11

I thought pretty much all powdered sugar had cornstarch in it for texture or to help prevent caking or who knows what. I thought that's why it tasted different from super fine granulated sugar.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:19am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGitsaLisa

I thought pretty much all powdered sugar had cornstarch in it for texture or to help prevent caking or who knows what. I thought that's why it tasted different from super fine granulated sugar.

She got it right.

I use Costco powdered sugar. When I need it finer, I use the food processor.

My Mom, used to put regular sugar in the blender, when she needed powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%