Opinions On Molds

Decorating By rosequeen Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 9:10pm by sweetreasures

rosequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosequeen Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 4

Has anyone ever made flowers using a mold? The only flowers I know how to make are the ones I learned from Wilton. I was wondering if there were molds out there that give the same details as making them by hand. Flowers are my favorite thing to make but I feel so limited on what I can do. Any suggestions?

3 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 4

There are some very nice molds out there, they aren't as delicate looking as a handmade gum paste flower, but they are very pretty.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 4

What medium are you talking about, fondant/gumpaste, buttercream, chocolate?

There are definitely chocolate molds for everything, but they never look real. I have never seen anything for buttercream, and there are assorted cutters and veiners for gumpaste. I have also seen some push molds, but making them by hand is fun and not hard to learn.

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 4

Kathy Scott has about 34 flower silicone molds which she sells on Ebay under sweetexpress. I've not used these particular molds but have purchase several of her decorative molds which I used with almond bark. The molds have nice detail and turned out beautifully. I went to her site last night and if I remember correctly her web address is sweetexpress.net or you can google her name with sweet expressions, as well as look up her seller ID on Ebay to find her items listed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%