Stop My Smbc From......

Decorating By miny Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 9:06pm by Lenette

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 8

Separating? I've done the same recipe for a while now but I've never color it, well just airbrushed it and it's perfect, but last night I took some out of the container to colored it black and when I was mixing it..... it wouldnt take the color and became watery, I ended up with a pool of black water in the bottom and a lumpy greysh BC on top! icon_mad.gif I really need black BC for some scroll work and I'm afraid it will keep bleading after I use it (if I get the color I want), but my worst fear is that the white one also separates, I don't even want to take it out of the fridge icon_cry.gif ( it look fine so far, but I made the "black one" from the same batch! Why did it happen, and how can I fix it? Help please....!!!

7 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 8

Because, you can;t tint a fat based medium with a bunch of water based color. It just doesn't work. And your airbrushing did??

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 8

You need to find some oil based coloring, like chocolatiers use. I'll try to find a link.

miny Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 8

Ohhhhhh, never thought of that, so that colored (or attempt) batch is trash now, right? Thanks for your help

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 8

You could always try to add the candy coloring to the batch and see if it saves it. It can't hurt to try. You can also get candy colors by Wilton at Michael's. They are used to color their candy melts.

miny Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 8

I know which ones you are talking about, I need to look for them, thank you ; )

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:46pm
post #7 of 8

you also have to re-whip smbc after you take it out of the fridge...I believe you let it come to room temp, then re-whip....if not, it will separate upon mixing/stirring.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 8

Were you using the airbrush colors or regular gel colors?

I use gel colors all the time with no problem, I agree with the others airbrush color is too watery.

Re-whip it really good if you put it in the frig. Hope you find something that works for ya'! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%