Urgent! Have A Filling/freezing Question For Wedding Cake

Decorating By yum-o Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 2:21am by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

yum-o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yum-o Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 3

This may be a stupid question but...I'm making a wedding cake today and the client called and asked if I could put butterscotch pudding as filling between the layers of butterscotch cake that is going to be the top tier that they will be freezing for a year. I need opinions! I've never used pudding as a filling - does that work? And if so, would it work freezing it?
Thanks in advance for any help.

2 replies
valerieb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerieb52 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:05am
post #2 of 3

Pretty much anything you freeze for a year maybe other than buttercream is going to taste like crap any way! I do not think the couple expects the cake to taste as good as it will when you make it... 365 days later!! Custards do not fare well frozen. Maybe if you make a butterscotch buttercream and butterscotch syrup soak for the cake, they will be satisfied with the top layer that way and make the rest of the cake per their request. Just letting them know the horror they will see in a year, if they want butterscotch custard instead,maybe they will be accepting of your suggestion. If not,do as they ask and do your best.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:21am
post #3 of 3

There is a line of flavoured oils (Lorann Oils, I think) that comes in butterscotch. I have it, but haven't tried it yet. That, in BC, might be a better option.

If you're in Canada, it's available at Bulk Barn (usually at the checkout so you can't pocket the tiny bottle). Perhaps someone from the US can help you out with locations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%