Decorating By tannersmom Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 2:08am by onlymadaresane

tannersmom Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 7

I need to roll out a rather large piece of fondant and my counter or table isn't big enough. What do you use to roll it out on? Did you purchase a piece of formica or ??????????? Any ideas would be so helpful!


6 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 7

I was in your place a couple of weeks ago.
I had my hubby buy a piece of mdf and a piece of dry erase board and some rubber cement. He made a removable counter top that has no seams and is totally smooth. There are wood blocks on the underside to keep it from shifting when I am rolling out fondant or kneading dough.
The food color from kneading fondant does not stain it either. Formica is alot more expensive. This lifts off and slides behind my rolling island when it is not in use. It is my favorite new gadget!

tannersmom Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks! I do have a question, what is MDF? Where did you buy it and the dry erase board(walmart??)

kweenofengland Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 7

mdf ( Medium-density fiberboard) can be found at Lowes or home depot. not at walmart. Just ask them for mdf board... it will be in the lumber area with the plywood sheathing, etc.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:27am
post #5 of 7

We got both in the building materials of Lowes but you can get it at Home Depot or any lumber /home center. The main thing you need to remember about the dry erase is that you cannot get it really wet and let it stay wet. Wipe it down then dry it off. Good Luck!

cncsmom45 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:48am
post #6 of 7

BeeBoos, would you be willing to post a picture of your setup?

onlymadaresane Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:08am
post #7 of 7

I would love to see a pic BeeBoos! That sounds like an awesome idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%