Air Bubbles

Decorating By pieceofcake20 Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 9:52pm by -K8memphis

pieceofcake20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake20 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 8

I can't ever seem to find answers to my questions by using the search feature so I'm bothering you guys with it. Recently I have been having issues with air bubbles forming under my MMF. The only thing I can think of that I'm doing different is after I crumbcoat I've been putting the cake in the refrigerator while it settles. Do you think the moisture of the buttercream returning to room temp is causing the fondant to bubble. Do you mind giving me a time line of how you make your cakes? I work during the day so I have to spread mine out over a few days.
I bake and freeze cakes on days that I have spare time. Thaw out the night before I will start crumbcoating.
Crumbcoat in the morning before i go to work.
Fondant or final coat when I get off work then decorate.

7 replies
kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:16am
post #2 of 8

I always bake and decorate within a day or two of the event. I've never frozen or refrigerated my cakes.

However, I can tell you that when i do have an air bubble, I pop it with a pin at an angle. Then I work the air out. Works every time!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:52am
post #3 of 8

yes, i think that may be your problem. why are you fridging? for the filling?

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 8

I have also heard that when the cake is too cold and you cover it with room temp. fondant it can cause air bubbles. I have had it happen to me once and I did what you did. I have refrigerated cakes with butter cream the night before a party and then taken them out the next morning. If you let the cake sit just for a little while in room temp. it will be a big difference. The cake can still be cool and you don't get the bubbles, just not straight from the fridge.

pieceofcake20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake20 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 8

I just recently started putting them in the fridge because it seemed like the icing set up better and made the fondant go on easier. When i put the fondant on top of icing that was room temp, the icing seemed to move around. I probably just used too much.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 8

You're probably right...you may have used too much icing. Try using less next time and don't refrigerate. It should solve the problem for you. icon_smile.gif

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 8

Those are AWESOME tips! Love them!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 8

Air bubbles, aka cake farts, stretch out the icing and create problems where none existed before, so annoying.

We tested this with room temp never chilled cake, cold cake, frozen & thawed cake, coupla day old cake, fresh baked cake. Lotsa different possibilities, all of the above produced air bubbles.

I never found a common denominator. I've never been able to say "Yes this _____ is why this happens." Because we'd try it without that ____ and we'd still get a bubble. so...

It happens with buttercream only and of course under fondant.

One of the ideas to help reduce the amount of air bubbles is to put a hole in each layer of each tier through the icing into the cake in an unobtrusive area where it won't be noticed so the air has somewhere to escape in the first place. We would put them in there after decorating so we would know they would stay open. worked good for us.

There's another current thread on this somewhere too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%