What's The Proper Way To Serve The Extra Kitchen Cake?

Decorating By charleezgal Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm by erinalicia

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making my 20th wedding anniversary cake for our party. There are 85+ people coming and I'm afraid there won't be enough cake so I'm making an extra sheet cake (the kitchen cake, I guess it's called) But, I'm wondering what is the proper way to serve it since it won't be fully decorated.

Do you cut it up and put it on plates or bring it to the table to be cut or what? I don't want people to think they are getting second rate cake. I'm having chocolate and white on the main cake and strawberry for the kitchen cake.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Teresa

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 5

what size are you making the tiered cake?

If you're having 3 flavors, you pretty much have to have all three flavors on the table at the same time. I dont' think people will think they're getting 2nd rate cake if it's a totally different flavor. They'll just think they're getting (choosing to select) a different flavor.

If you're cutting the main (tiered?) cake in the main room, then I'd put the strawberry sheet cake on the same table and cut from it, so folks can see the 3 flavor choices. I'm not one to sneak a cake away and cut it in the secret back room like a big conspiracy thing.

I find most people love watching the cake cutting process. In my little realm of the world, if a cake is whisked away to the back room (where the secret deals are made? icon_lol.gif ), then people are looking at each other asking "where's the cake? why'd they take it away? I didn't get cake yet? Is it gone already?"

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it is a tiered cake. 14, 12, 10, 8, and 6" double layer. DONT LAUGH. I don't plan on cutting the standard 1x1/2 " pieces. My hubby wants a PIECE of cake not a sliver.

So you are saying to bring it to the table at the time of cutting even though it would probably be in the pan I baked it in? I don't want it to look tacky. Should I take it out of the pan and put it on a cake board at least? I really didn't want to spend any extra time on another cake if you know what I mean.

Value your opinion

Teresa

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 5

Ok, first you're getting the icon anyway ,....... icon_surprised.gif

Wilton serving sizes means you're making 208 "normal" servings of cake. Even if you cut them TWICE the size, which will be a BRICK!, you're still going to have over 100 servings. And not everyone will eat like your husband. Kids, little old ladies, folks on diets, and yes, believe it or not, some people who will pass on cake .... the normal 1x2x4 piece will be fine for them (it's about the size of a folded over peanut butter sandwich).

If you're leaving it in the pan, then no, I wouldn't bring it out. Just cut some pieces and bring them out on a tray.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 5

holy cow, that's a lot of cake for 85 people! I agree with Debi on this one... why not just make a tier strawberry and skip the kitchen cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%