Cupcake Tower Set Up

Business By Loucinda Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 12:24am by fat-sissy

Loucinda Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 26

I have a wdding order for 85 cupcakes and an 8" cake on the top - I have never done one of these.

My question is should I invest in a nice cupcake tower set up www.crystalpalacecupcaketree.com is the one I am looking at) or do I make something myself to set them on. I DO NOT want it to look tacky.

Opinions or places/ templates for one would be appreciated.

25 replies
kickasscakes Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 26

Have the bride and groom rent a cupcake tree from a party shop, until you are able to have/rent out your own. They are worth the money in presentation.

indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 26

First, thanks for that link! Those stands may cause me to change my "attitude" (yes, I'll admit it .... I have an attitude about cupcakes! icon_rolleyes.gif ) toward cupcake weddings. Those set ups are beautiful!

If you choose to invest in these stands, I think it goes without saying (but I'm saying it anyway! icon_biggrin.gif ) that a security deposit be applied. I'd also be likely to charge a rental fee.

Loucinda Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 26

I haven't been able to find anything else that looks "elegant" enough IMO - other than this one. I DEFINATELY will charge a deposit/rental fee for it if I go that direction. In 3 years, this is the first time I have gotten an order for a "cupcake" set up - I would buy that set in a heart beat if I thought I would use it enough to pay for it over the next couple of years. Maybe once I have it and have pics of it more folks would want to use it?

minicuppie Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 26

Just a thought...I did cupcakes for my step daughter's groom table. She had seen something of MS"s and wanted the same. We bought 100 cupcake size gifrt boxes (black), placed the cuppie inside then tied with a pretty bow (dark blue). Stacked the boxes in a pyramid and sprinkled "gems and glitter"(edible sugar) all around. The table cloth was dark blue with a sheer black overlay. As it was winter I placed a stark,white "tree" for additional deco for one side slightly offset. Stunning.

IsaSW Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:02am
post #6 of 26

I got two cupcake towers coming up soon, can't wait to use my "FAIRY 7 TIER ROUND CUP CAKE STAND"
Its expensive, but it's beautiful, since I am charging 234 for the first wedding. I thought that would pay for it, and hopefully I'll get more cupcake orders.
Got it at Sugarcraft.
I google the item everywhere, even in England, and they had a decent price
$195.95.

Loucinda Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 26

Isa - can you put some spaces between the name of the link or pm it to me? It is getting blocked. I will google the name in the meantime to see if I can get it to come up.

Loucinda Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 26

I got it - it is from the crafty sugar place. I like that one, it doesn't have the 4 side things - it's support is in the center. I don't need 7 tiers though and that is the only size it comes in......I need to check it out a little further - thanks for the heads up on this one!

Liz1951 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 26

I, too, have an attitude about cupcakes. They are very pretty, but they are not my favorite thing to do. Simply because they are hard to transpot. So my question is....how do you transport cupcakes w/o them bouncing and turning over? I had an order for 24 cupcakes for a baby shower this past weekend. I placed non skid mats under each plastic dome shape container...the ones used for veggie trays or sandwiches. (I can't stand to see those things tossed in the garbage so I usually end up bringing several home from every get-together I attend) Even with the non skid matts and driving slowly, a few cupcakes flipped on their side. I also put the non skid mat inside the plastic container hoping that would keep them from moving. I can't picture me transporting 100+ cupcakes anywhere. Just curious how you cupcake pros do it.

joynach Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 26

I transport my cupcakes in tinfoil cupcake liners, then place them in a box. It works great and is a very inexpensive way to do so. Hope this helps.

antonia74 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:15pm
post #11 of 26

Easy to transport if you use one of those under-the-bed long rectangular Tupperware boxes lined with non-slip matting. thumbs_up.gif

As for the stands, have you seen the ones at www.bossmanufacturing.com ? Great investments, incredibly sturdy/solid and really beautiful colours/assorted sizes.

Suzycakes Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:45pm
post #12 of 26

I have had only one cupcake wedding cake order and the bride specifically wanted the tower constructed from cake drums with styrofoam pillars in between so I could cover those with matching fabric from the reception tables. But I too have had a horrible time trying to transport cupcakes - the tupperware/rubbermade containers with non-skid did no good once you hit a curve or a bumpy road.

So I ordered plastic cupcake inserts that fit in the bottom of 10 x 14 bakery boxes that will hold 1 dozn cupcakes from Global Sugar Art (they are 5 for $5.99). So after icing the cupcakes at the reception site I loaded the tower with all it would hold (she had specific flavors on different tiers) - i placed the cupcakes in the boxes with the inserts in them with all white flavors together, chocolate together, lemon together, etc (& wrote the cake flavor on top of the box for ease) .. then I stacked those boxes under the cake table for super simple restocking. I told the MOB that I wanted all of the inserts back that I could get - they are a pretty sturdy plastic and washed up well. She got them all back to me and I have used them again for other 'regular' orders -- that I didn't ask for them back but included them in the cost of the order. But since I knew at the reception that all kinds of people would NOT be digging in the boxes for cupcakes I wasn't worried about a lot of damage or contamination. Plus like I said they washed up well.

They are a little expensive, but the cupcakes don't tilt or flip at all!! Sometimes the peace of mind is worth the money.

HTH

Suze

minicuppie Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:56pm
post #13 of 26

Great tip suzy cakes. That's an excellent price for that particular cupcake packaging also. I bought a couple at a local cake supply for almost 3 dollars each. I know they need to stay afloat but I will buy them elsewhere in future.

Liz1951 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:05pm
post #14 of 26

Thanks so much suzycakes for the tips. I knew there was something out there that would work. Just haven't done enough cupcakes to worry about it, but now I will purchase a few of those inserts so I will have them for future orders.

Suzycakes Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:32pm
post #15 of 26

You're welcome! After I 'ate' 2 small cupcake orders because of flipping during delivery I decided they were way cheaper than my time and ingredients that I had lost!!

leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:07pm
post #16 of 26

I got some plastic clamshell type plastic containers at the local cake supplies store. I'm sure they're meant to be disposable, but I wash and reuse. Each container holds a doz cupcakes.

IsaSW Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:33am
post #17 of 26

Has any body used this kind of box?

I have 7 dozens to transport this weekend and didn't get a chance to test them. I just order them, any advice from somebody that has used them before.
LL

-Tubbs Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:33pm
post #18 of 26

I use those boxes and inserts for regular cupcake orders. I have the inserts in 1 doz size and 2 doz minis, both of which fit the same box.

I wouldn't use them for an order where I'm going to set up though. For that, like pp, I use my big plastic under-bed boxes and non-slip matting.

KHalstead Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:53pm
post #19 of 26

I made this stand using mdf from home depot......i bought one large sheet, and a 2" dowel (drilled hole down center) and a long threaded metal rod and some bolts on the ends to hold the whole thing together. I got the directions on youtube

I made 2 round stands 6",8",10",12",14",16" and 1 square stands the same size and all of the materials including primer and spray paint cost me $30.00!!!

I cut all the pieces with a jigsaw (used cardboard circles to trace a template on wood) and spent maybe 2 hrs. cutting all the pieces (never used a jigsaw before) cut the squares w/ a table saw (soooo much easier than the rounds)

i charge $10.00 per tier deposit, and $5.00/ tier rental. Considering each stand only cost me about $10.00 in materials I figured that was a good price. Depending on the size of the metal rod in the center I can change the number of layers i use.
They are nowhere near as nice as the crystal ones, but in a pinch they definitely work (when I needed one for an order I didn't have ANYWHERE NEAR enough money to purchase a stand, but needed the order!)

Edited to say: The gold one has longer posts between the boards (customer wanted a taller, thinner looking display) than the purple one. That's also adjustable, depending on your cupcake topper or preferences.
LL
LL

Lcubed82 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:24pm
post #20 of 26

I had seen that youtube video, but it seems to be gone now. I have PM'd the creator a couple of times, but got no respongse. Thanks for explaining. Is it difficult to drill the dowel? Did you clamp it somehow? I wondered about using PVC for the separators? Did you use the special flat bolt thing at the top? TIA!

IsaSW Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:39pm
post #21 of 26

TubbsCookies,
Thanks for your advice, but I am still a little confused. What is PP?
You don't use them the boxes when you are setting up, because they are expensive or because they are no good?. I am scared now.
Also, I am afraid if I place the frosting at the Venue, what if I run out of frosting? I definetly have to make a batch of frosting and test it tonight, the bride wants extra frosting, all the way to the top.
Any advice? It's this weekend and I have never done it before.

Thanks in Advance

-Tubbs Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:32pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaSW

TubbsCookies,
You don't use them the boxes when you are setting up, because they are expensive or because they are no good?. I am scared now.
Also, I am afraid if I place the frosting at the Venue, what if I run out of frosting? I definetly have to make a batch of frosting and test it tonight, the bride wants extra frosting, all the way to the top.

Thanks in Advance

Oh, no, the boxes work great, just $$$ that I feel I don't need to spend, when I already have the big plastic flats! They look nice when you're delivering to the customer, but for a wedding nobody will see them anyway and you're looking for speed and efficiency.
Also, you have to put the boxes together, which takes a little time because I always tape the sides to ensure they are secure - not much time, but it adds up when you're under pressure - I would do them beforehand and have them ready when you're ready to load.

I have never iced at the venue. I wouldn't want to do that, especially with spectators icon_redface.gif It will take lots of icing, so you might want to see how much you get from your one test batch, and get that all ready ahead of time also. That way you can concentrate on baking your cuppies as late as possible to keep them fresh! If you don't have a really big piping bag, now's the time to buy one, because re-filling the bag gets old really quickly!!

(pp = previous posters)

IsaSW Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:11pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaSW

TubbsCookies,

Thanks in Advance

Oh, no, the boxes work great, just $$$ that I feel I don't need to spend, when I already have the big plastic flats! They look nice when you're delivering to the customer, but for a wedding nobody will see them anyway and you're looking for speed and efficiency.
Also, you have to put the boxes together, which takes a little time because I always tape the sides to ensure they are secure - not much time, but it adds up when you're under pressure - I would do them beforehand and have them ready when you're ready to load.

I have never iced at the venue. I wouldn't want to do that, especially with spectators icon_redface.gif It will take lots of icing, so you might want to see how much you get from your one test batch, and get that all ready ahead of time also. That way you can concentrate on baking your cuppies as late as possible to keep them fresh! If you don't have a really big piping bag, now's the time to buy one, because re-filling the bag gets old really quickly!!

(pp = previous posters)

TubbsCookies,
Oh Thank you so much, for all your advice!!, I will for sure test tonight my batch and see how many I get from it, and then just make it ahead of time. And yes I got the big piping bags this last week.
Wish me luck, I will try to post the pic on monday.

Loucinda Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:42pm
post #24 of 26

KH - your set up is VERY nice. I haven't seen a home made one look as elegant as yours does. I have sent you a pm.

KHalstead Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 6:21pm
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

I had seen that youtube video, but it seems to be gone now. I have PM'd the creator a couple of times, but got no respongse. Thanks for explaining. Is it difficult to drill the dowel? Did you clamp it somehow? I wondered about using PVC for the separators? Did you use the special flat bolt thing at the top? TIA!

i've NEVER used any type of power tools before making these stands!! So, no it wasn't hard to drill the dowels. I used a drill bit that was just slightly larger than the threaded metal center rod and drilled from the top straight down to the center, and then flipped it over and repeated on the other side until the hole was all the way through. It was actually VERY simple. I did use the t-nut thing at the top, but still didn't feel like it allowed my cake to sit completely flat, so I will cut a small bit off of the cardboard circle from the bottom, just one layer of the paper until the corrugated part shows and that's enough to allow the t-nut space so the cake sits perfectlly flat. However, I suppose if you just drilled a big hole on the top and allowed the nut to sit down inside of the top board you wouldn't have to even worry about the t-nut. Every time I've rented it out it's always had a 6" board on top, so I just put the t-nut in it. But once you pound the t-nut in it stays and you're forced to use that as your top board.
I love the versatility of this stand...being that I just cut different lengths of the central metal rod and can have any combo of tiers I want.

As you can see with the purple cupcakes, if you add ribbon and such in there with the cupcakes it doesn't look so plain Jane and stark white. I change out the ribbons with the different orders too. The gold and white cc tower was a pick up so they arranged ribbons and such at the venue themselves which is why it looks so plain.

fat-sissy Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 12:24am
post #26 of 26

Thanks for the details on yours KHalstead!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%