Help With Making Swans

Decorating By SandiOh Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 10:16pm by icer101

SandiOh Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 5

I have committed myself to replicating the top tier of a girlfriends grandparent's wedding cake for their 50 th anniversary. the cake had small swans on top of the cake....any ideas or links for this? she's pretty sure they are frosting, or royal icing of some sort.

Any help would be appreciated.

4 replies
sweetcakes Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 5

This is how i have done them in 3d.
Take a swan body pattern and do it in color flow. at the same time do 2 large wings. when the body is dry, turn it over and repeat it on the back so it will be 2 sided. when the wings are dry do some brush embroidery on them to represent the feathers in the wings. when everything is dry pipe a puddle of icing and set the swan body in it. let that dry, then attach the wings, these will need to be propped up until they set. I will take a picture of the ones i have for my C2 wilton display. A pair of them make a lovely topper.

JP Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 5

You could make them out of royal icing following the template in the Cake Bible for the cream puff swans. It is a really easy pattern to follow and my cream puff swans are always a hit. Good luck!

SandiOh Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 5

thank you for your advice...I bought a 3 D stencil and tried it with candy melts, and with RI, and all 12 times, they broke...finally, I rolled some gumpaste over the swan stencil and then cut out the imprint with an exacto knife. I think it worked out well...and no breakage from Mrs. Klutzo!!!
LL

icer101 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 5

hi, i have this site saved.. don,t know how to send it to you.. i got it from this site.. it is.... sharing and caring cake decorating and sugar art tutorials... it is a great site .. it has g/p swans. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%