Making First Fondant Bday Cake And Need Help

Baking By amy1011 Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 12:21pm by LeeBD

amy1011 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 4

I am planning on making my sons 2nd bday cake (cowboy theme) and am looking for recipes for a good scratch cake mix and an easy fondant recipe. I have tried the MMF and it worked ok. I tried another recipe with crisco and it wasn't as good and dried out much more quickly. If anyone has a great recipe or a secret on how to make everything turn out wonderful I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks so much!

3 replies
majka_ze Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 4

Amy, unless you have time to play with the fondant to get a feel for it, I would stick with the MMF for now. You say it worked OK.
I make homemade fondant - better said sugarpaste - tried several recipes. I can work with each of them, but some work better for me than others. Even if it was a perfect recipe, you would need time to learn how it really behaves.

Stick with the MMF for now. Try other recipes for fancy Sunday cakes, where there is no need to have it perfect every time.

brincess_b Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 4

i love a victoria sponge, nice and easy http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/victoriaspongewithst_90309.shtml

i buy my fondant but mff is another popular one on here. or you can read all the posts about mmf, there are lots of little tips and tricks hidden about.
xx

LeeBD Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 4

I too would stick with MMF. I have tried several recipes and the MMF has been the easiest and tastiest yet...everyone seems to prefer the flavor. I have also added extracts for a flavor twist. It may take some experimentation. I usually do a practice run about a month before the actual cake is needed. This gives me time to get it right, especially if I'm trying out a new flavor. MMF is inexpensive to make so it's no big deal if it turns out not tasting so great. Have fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%