Yogurt Substitute?

Baking By nicksmom Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 6:54am by SugarFrosted

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:46am
post #1 of 7

I think I recall someone telling me you could make a fat free cake with yogurt;omit the 3eggs and oil, and just use yogurt. Is this accurate? TIA

6 replies
nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:15am
post #2 of 7

do I just substitute the oil with the yogurt and still use the eggs,PLeas help!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:24am
post #3 of 7

Sorry, I don't know the answer but I cannot imagine that you could leave the eggs out without replacing them with some kind of egg substitute as a binder. It is my understanding that the eggs are an important part of your cake's structure! Hopefully someone else will see this and chime in with more details. I also normally see oil substituted with SOMETHING - even applesauce in some recipes. Perhaps it is indeed the yogurt in this case but I can't be sure icon_redface.gif - sorry I'm not superhelpful but I just wanted to chime in my reservations about leaving out the eggs!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:42am
post #4 of 7

I sub oil w/ applesauce. Are you making it for yourself? If so you can get a cake mix & use 1 can of diet soda. With eggs, use whites (1 extra) instead of the whole eggs

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:25am
post #5 of 7

You can substitute the yogurt for the oil. I have used applesauce too. You may however need to make a small adjustment to the amount of water you put in but you do still need the eggs.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:48am
post #6 of 7

dup post

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:54am
post #7 of 7

Along with the substitution of applesauce for the oil, you can always use egg sustitutes like Eggbeaters if your goal is lowering the fat.

Also, you can use pureed prunes in chocolate cake instead of the applesauce. You will never know they are there. Baby food prunes work great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%