Please Help Me Price...

Decorating By onemissa Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 1:26am by tatorchip

onemissa Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:57am
post #1 of 5

I just received an order for a 1yr olds birthday in October. The problem is that I'm not really sure what to charge. I don't want to overcharge, but I also don't want to screw myself.

The customer wants to do a 3 tier Halloween cake from the 2009 Wilton Yearbook on page 36. This is my first tiered cake and I really haven't had good luck selling cakes because of course people are cheap.

I contacted a local bakery and they said they would only do it minus the hidden pillars and fondant spiders that are pictured and they would do it for $90. That sounded way too cheap. So then I contacted my cake class instructor and she said she wouldn't do it for less than $250, which seems alittle much.

If anyone can please help I would really appreciate it.

I tried finding a pic of the actual cake, but the only thing I could find is one kind of like it that someone here did. The original is as follows: bottom tier is 14 inches, next are the hidden pillars with fondant spiders, middle tier is 10 inches, and the top has the large dimension pumpkin. I plan on doing it all in buttercream.

TIA!!!!!!!!!
LL

4 replies
tatorchip Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:05am
post #2 of 5

from everything I have read it depends on the area and the cost of all ingred. and per hour pay for yourself, add all that up and charge that or round off and charge $2.00 per slice and to figure out how many slices go to www.waltin.com and they have a chart telling how many slices per tier per size. I hope that helped out I am still new but maybe that will get you started till the real CC can answer you. They are all so nice and helpful
Deborah

tatorchip Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #3 of 5

you can charge whatever you want per slice I was using $2.00 for an example some charge up up high due to their talent and work put in.

adree313 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:18am
post #4 of 5

i'm sorry, i don't know how much to charge. i'd say your best bet is to start off around $2 or 2.50 per serving and go from there.
i'd LOVE to know how to do those spiders to hide the pillars though! my gran's birthday is on halloween and it's a huge deal (this is the first time i'll be around to celebrate) and i'd love to do something like this!

tatorchip Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:26am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

i'm sorry, i don't know how much to charge. i'd say your best bet is to start off around $2 or 2.50 per serving and go from there.
i'd LOVE to know how to do those spiders to hide the pillars though! my gran's birthday is on halloween and it's a huge deal (this is the first time i'll be around to celebrate) and i'd love to do something like this!

check out my pics my daughter made a nice halloween birthday cake, she put a flicker light threw the cake and under the pot and added dry ice to the pot. It was a big wow for the kids

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%