How Do I Attach A Single Monogram....

Decorating By morrisaz2004 Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 3:36am by Texas_Rose

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 8

Can someone please give me some guidance? I need to make a gum paste single letter monogram and attach it to the top of a cake? (So it's standing up straight) How do I do this, without it falling over or sinking into the cake? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 8

Use a lollipop stick or a skewer inside the letter. Make the letter thick enough to hide the stick. Then let it dry for a few days before you use it. icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 8

You make your monogram, and insert a thin skewer (like a shish kebab) into the bottom. Dry the whole thing flat, and it should be good to go. Trim the skewer down once everything is dry.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 8

Ditto to what Texas_Rose said. I used a skewer for the #1 topper on my Winnie the Pooh cake.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:40am
post #5 of 8

I used skewers on the bottom of my 90th birthday cake. I made about four of each number. Because they break!

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:29am
post #6 of 8

Do a 50/50 fondant gumpaste. Glue some wires to the back or up the middle of it and insert after it is dry. The fondant keeps it from being so fragile and the gumpaste makes it harden.... all gumpaste will break so easy. I just did one for my cake "Dog".... good luck.

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:29am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for your quick replies and help! I just made my monogram and now we'll wait until tomorrow to see if the skewers hold it up! icon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:36am
post #8 of 8

Try to let it dry longer if possible, especially if it's thick. If you pick it up and mess with it too soon, the stick will just tear through it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%