Glad It Wasnt Me

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 3:28am by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 8

hey guys just wanted to share....i was just over setting up a weddimg cake for tomorow and there was another cake there too so i was nosy and had a peek - it was one of those gorgeous white chocolate cigarerillos and fans and looked fab FROM THE FRONT!!!!!

The back was totally smashed, the porter who was helping me with the cake showed us and said the bride had drived 2.5 hours with the 3 tiered cake all set up in a box in her boot and by the time she got to the hotel the back of the cake had smashed, all the back chocolate cigarettes had fallen off and the fans off the back too. the chef was going to fix it up before the wedding but man, i cant believe someone would let a bride take a fully set up wedding cake that is soooo fragile to drive and set up. i just couldnt do that, its waaaay to scary, maybe with a swan tier cake you could trust them to put them in boxes and just lift them off but not a wedding cake like that. if i was the bride id be gutted. but at the same time maybe she didnt want to pay for delivery so in that case she's responsible.

just such a pity cause the cake was FAB and i know it was about £500 worth of cake so its a pity its not going to be perfect. but i know the people at a reception really only glance at the front so no one will notice.....just glad my own cake set up went ok icon_smile.gif

7 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 8

No kidding. I would be so frustrated and upset about having to do it over because the BRIDE was not careful.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 8

it wasnt the cake maker who was for fixing it, it was the chef at the hotel who was going to have a go! thank goodness for good hotel staff

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 8

Oh WOW! That's a pretty kind and thoughtful chef to fix it for her. I don't know if I would have. Working on someone else's project is not my forte.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 8

More then likely the bride just didn't want to pay for the delivery charge.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 8

And the boot over there is the trunk of the car here in the USA, right?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 8

Was it a stacked cake?

If so, I don't see any other way than to have it ready assembled. And if it was properly done, it shouldn't make much of a difference whether the bride delivered it or the cake maker (as long as she was told to go easy on the journey, LOL).

I've delivered a cake (not this particular one, but one almost identical) that was made with chocolate curls on the outside....

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=863033

I feel terrible for the poor bride. She must have been so upset. How kind of the chef to repair it for her.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:28am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

And the boot over there is the trunk of the car here in the USA, right?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Yes, the UK "boot" is the North American "trunk". icon_wink.gif

I think the bride didn't want to spend the money to have a cake delivered 2 1/2 hrs. - I would have charged big bucks, for BOTH directions, or insisted on a hotel for the night. More likely, I wouldn't have done it, because I wouldn't want all my hard work to end up just like this cake did. But why wouldn't the bride just get someone in the hotel (or in the same city as the venue) to make the cake? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%