More Business Questions (Sorry!)

Business By cgm_cakes Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 5:48pm by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 11

For those of you who are "hobbiests from home":

- Do you make or purchase your fondant?
- Do you make or purchase your BC?
- Where do you buy your ingredients - grocery store, Costco, etc? (Items like icing sugar I can't find any bigger that 2lb bags)
- What do you use for transporting tiered or 3D cakes? When I make sheet cakes for family I buy cake boxes at Michael's but 3D cakes I've just carried. When I start selling to customers I want to be able to professionally package them.
- For orders under $100, do you get partial payment/full payment ahead of time or payment on delivery?

Sorry for all the questions, I have a lot to learn!

10 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 11

bump...i want to know more, too.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 11

I purchase my fondant although I recently acquired a recipe I want to try for making it myself to save some money. Right now I use Fondx which I really like. I make my buttercream, I use Sharon Zambito's recipe which tastes really good. I buy my ingredients from the grocery store. I use the 2 lb bags because it saves having to measure it out.

Mosly I dont box 3d cakes - i just deliver them on the board. I make full use of my coupons from Michaels and Hobby Lobby. also, Hobby Lobby occasionally has 40% off Wilton products coupons. When I get those I'll go stock up on bags and boxes and other stuff I need. Wilton fondant is really good for making figures and its expensive - those coupons come in handy for that.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 11

-I have always purchased my fondant, but I am trying out the fondant recipes from here this weekend. I'd rather make it than buy it, it's cheaper and sound like it would taste better. I had just always heard it was hard to make until I joined here.

-I make my buttercream. Two different versions, one with real butter (makes it an off-white color) and one with shortening and clear vanilla (makes it pure white).

-My ingredients come from Wal-Mart or Sam's. I know there are places to buy in bigger sizes, but for me, these work.

-For both tiered and sculpted cakes I just set them right in the back of my SUV. (With the cake on a wooden cake board) I lay down that non-skid stuff and set it on there, and it stays put.

-I never, ever do payment on delivery. Too risky for me. Not only would you be out the money you spent on supplies, but you would be out all of your time. Under $100 you would do best to get it all up front. For larger orders I require a 50% deposit (with $50.00 of that non-refundable) and then the balance is due 7 days before the event. No payment, no cake. 7 days gives me enough time that if they don't pay, I've usually only made my cake layers, and haven't fully gotten into really decorating it yet.

Don't apologize for asking questions, that's how you find stuff out! And there are lots of more knowledgeable people here than me, so take everyone's answers into consideration, and decide what works best for you icon_smile.gif

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 11

I have used wilton fondant, MMF, and recently satin ice. But they all have that same texture, you know like an old piece of gum that has been in the bottom of your purse and is hot and kind of melty and when you chew it, it is like rubber that falls apart. Yack

So I will be making MMF from now on since it is much cheaper and tastes the same. Some larger cakes I have bought moving boxes from walmart that are big, tall and cheap (stationary aisle). I haven't had any problems getting payment on delivery yet, but I am always afraid with everything you hear on here. I make my buttercream with crisco. Everything comes from walmart right now.

I think at sam's they sell sugar in 7 lb bags

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm_cakes

- Where do you buy your ingredients - grocery store, Costco, etc? (Items like icing sugar I can't find any bigger that 2lb bags)
- What do you use for transporting tiered or 3D cakes? When I make sheet cakes for family I buy cake boxes at Michael's but 3D cakes I've just carried. When I start selling to customers I want to be able to professionally package them.
- For orders under $100, do you get partial payment/full payment ahead of time or payment on delivery?

-I make MMF
-I use both scratch and purchased BC
-Grocery, Michael's, JoAnn, Hobby Lobby, Local cake decorating store, online
-My lap while my husband drives icon_biggrin.gif
-Payment at pickup

Good Luck!

cakemaker30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker30 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm_cakes

-I purchase it. I use Satin Ice, but I have recently tried Fondariffic's buttercream fondant and it's awesome. You do have to have a EIN # to set up an account with them though.
-Some of my icing I purchase and some I make. It depends what it is. I think either way is acceptable depending on what works for you and your business.
-Some of my items I buy at the grocery store and some I get at GFS. It's a restaurant supply store, but they will sell to people with small orders. That's for ingredients. For things like boxes and such I order them online or go to the local cake shop.
-I transport tiered and 3D cakes in a box big enough to fit the board and I just cut the lid off of it. I don't know why but that makes me feel safer than just having it on the board. There isn't a real big difference except mentally for meicon_smile.gif
- I accept payment for small orders upon delivery. If it's under $100 it didn't cost me that much or take me much time to do anyways. I've never had anyone not pay me, but if that happened I would have a nice cake to take somewhere as free advertising.

I hope that helpsicon_smile.gif

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:34am
post #8 of 11

I buy my fondant for a local vendor, his fondant is the best.

I make my own BC

I am planning to start looking at Costco, because I am starting to buy more and more, and I am sure there is somebody outhere that will sell butter for less than 2.50 a pound. Still looking.

Gumpaste, I just did the math this weekend. With the coupon at Michaels I pay 5.25 per pound, if I make it myself with the ingredients from Michaels, I can make 6.5 pounds for $10.25.
It would have cost me $34.5 at Michaels (That is if I had 6 coupons for that week-which I don't). So I would be making it from now on.

For transporting a tiered cake, my husband has made a board it fits perfectly in my small car. I will post a pic on monday when I can download the pics at work, its a very good idea, for us people with small cars.
If I carry separate cakes, I order my boxes online and then just place a 3x3 sticker with my logo.
And payments , 50% to order, the rest two weeks before the event.

I am a newbie too, but learning a lot here at CC.

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:21am
post #9 of 11

Thank you, everyone. Your answers have been very helpful! Good luck to you all.

Tallgirl197528 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallgirl197528 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 11

I go to Smart & Finale... 25lb sugar $ 15 and shorting $20 I also got the contains to put it in from there...last me for ever and comes out cheaper then a 2lb bag from the market. and i got my butter from there I think you get 9 bar for $4. Hope this helps!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:48pm
post #11 of 11

I see you're in Canada - so am I. Not sure if you have Bulk Barn out west (or if it's just an Eastern Canada/Ontario thing), but here's what I do:

Fondant - I don't use it often enough, yet, so I just use the Virgin Ice brand from Bulk Barn. I have purchased black and chocolate fondant from McCalls in Toronto, because they're harder to make (esp. black). The choc tastes like Rolos.

BC - I am just using the Wilton recipe right now, but will try one of the recipes from here next week.

I have found that the icing sugar from Costco costs the same as the grocery store, and it only comes in the 1 kg. bags. I was told by my instructor that, if you're going to use the icing sugar from Bulk Barn, you need to increase the amount used - because it's not sealed tightly in the store's storage bins, it's soaking up moister from the air and will be different to use.

I also get most of my cake boards and boxes from Bulk Barn - cheaper than Michael's. Haven't made a 3D cake yet, so can't comment on that one.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%