Need Almond Bc Frosting. Substitute For Vanilla In Wilton?

Baking By leannrr Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 12:03pm by matthewkyrankelly

leannrr Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 9

I need an almond tasting bc frosting. I am making a wedding cake that will be ivory color so don't need a pure white recipe. I usually make the Wilton buttercream with all shortening, but it has no almond flavor. Can I just substitute almond for the vanilla? Is there a better recipe for my needs? I've used the snow white recipe from Wilton which I like the taste, but it's a little too stiff to work with. I want to try the high ratio shortening for the wedding. Do I need a special recipe for HR or can I just substitute that 1:1 with regular shortening? Thanks

8 replies
pipe-dreams Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 9

Tonedna1 has a fabulous high ratio recipe. That and Indydebi's recipe for heat/humidity are all I use!
Edna's site is Just click on the recipe link on the top and you will see it.

And yes, you can certainly sub almond for vanilla in the buttercream.

DeeDelightful Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 9

For a wedding cake, I would suggest trying one of the "better" (lack a better word) icing recipes on CC: Toneda, Sugarshack and Indydebi for a start. You may be more pleased with the results.

leannrr Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 9

thanks. boy, the design me a cake website has lots of good video info.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 9

Almond is strong. Use much less than vanilla or the cake may taste extracty, if that is a word. You also may want to use some vanilla as a background note to the cake. It would be obviously almond but with a slight smoothness. I use the reverse for birthday cakes.

diane Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 9

i wouldn't recommend using all almond flavoring..too overpowering. my almond icing recipe includes vanilla flavoring, but i decrease it a 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of almond flavoring. icon_wink.gif

leannrr Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 9

so if a recipe only calls for 1 tsp vanilla, then maybe go 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp almond?

brincess_b Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 9

also, if your bc is too stiff, you just need to carefully add in a bit more liquid to make it the consistancy you want.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:03pm
post #9 of 9

Start with 1/4 the amount, mix, and taste. Then another 1/4. You'll be surprised how quickly the almond taste come up. Then add a little vanilla to taste. You could try this in a separate bowl to see if you like it. But vanilla tends to round out other flavors, not destroy them.

Let us know how it goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%