Cake Sizes And Pricing?

Decorating By cgm_cakes Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 3:03am by indydebi

cgm_cakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 9

I've read a lot of posts on here where you're discussing serving sizes and pricing.

My question is: when you refer to single layer and double layer cakes with filling, does a single layer mean you bake one 2" cake, split and fill it and a double layer cake means you bake 2 2" cakes and put filling between them? I thought I read that a double layer cake gives you more servings - don't you still cut it the same, the pieces are just taller? How does pricing differ for the two?

Thanks for your help! I'm sure I'm going to have lots of questions as I gather info to start my business.

8 replies
DeeDelightful Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 9

Yes, a single layer cake is either a single layer or a single layer that has been torted and filled (taller cake)...double would be baking two single layers and stacking with filling in between.

SugarFrosted Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 9

A single layer cake is cut and served 2"tallx2"widex2"deep. For a 2 layer cake, the servings are 1"widex2"deepx4"tall. Same amount of cake, twice as many servings in a 2 layer cake.

cgm_cakes Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:16am
post #4 of 9

Thanks! That makes things a lot clearer - I didn't understand how it was cut differently being a 2 layer cake.

JanH Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:38am
post #5 of 9

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above superthread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

In addition there is baking help which gives batter requirements by pan size as well as recommended baking temps. and time. Also servings charts that give yields by pan size in both wedding and party portions.

Also how to make your own pan grease, use of flower nails instead of heating cores, use of bake-even strips.. How to smooth b/c using different methods, Viva, Melvira and hot spatula.

There's a link to illustrated cake support systems with complete directions. And a sticky by Leahs on the SPS system.

Cake and cookie pricing matrix:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-630911-.html

HTH

indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm_cakes

I thought I read that a double layer cake gives you more servings - don't you still cut it the same, the pieces are just taller?

Logically, if you cut them "the same", then the double layer cake has double the amount of cake in that piece.

emma_jada Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:57am
post #7 of 9

ok... the wilton cake chart says that an 8" serves . Is that for just one layer if I am doing a 2 layer cake to stack in a tier do I double all these numbers on the chart?
I am doing a stacked cake and am trying to feed ~around~ 50 people (she would rather go over than under). Do I do an 8 and a 12 to reach 56 servings?

emma_jada Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:00am
post #8 of 9

ok... the wilton cake chart says that an 8" serves 24. Is that for just one layer? If I am doing a 2 layer cake to stack in a tier do I double all these numbers on the chart?
I am trying to feed ~around~ 50 people (she would rather go over than under)? Should I do a 6 and 10?
Thanks

indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:03am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_jada

ok... the wilton cake chart says that an 8" serves 24. Is that for just one layer? If I am doing a 2 layer cake to stack in a tier do I double all these numbers on the chart?
I am trying to feed ~around~ 50 people (she would rather go over than under)? Should I do a 6 and 10?
Thanks

Those charts are for 2-layer cakes. 8" round serves 24.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%