What Makes You A Weirdo?

Lounge By veronica720 Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 5:01am by veronica720

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:50pm
post #91 of 208

I too am afraid to look underwater in the ocean or lakes! When I was a kid I couldn't even watch a video with underwater scenes. And aquariums forget it! I also used to have nightmares that I was trapped in one and couldn't get out. The murkier the water the bigger the fear.
I'm also afraid of falling. I can be very high and that doesn't bother me unless I feel like I'm going to fall. So when I went to the Willis (Sears) Tower a few weeks ago out on the glass way up high I was thrilled! I knew there was no way I could possibly fall so.....
Jen...

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:11pm
post #92 of 208

OK you guys ARE a bunch of WEIRDOS!!!! icon_lol.gif

It's no wonder I spend so much time on this site with you all!! icon_wink.gif

What makes me a weirdo? Oh where do I begin? LOL!

If I'm having a particularly stressful day I start counting the number of letters in every word/sentence that I speak. It's awful, I can't NOT do it and it drives me nuts.

When I vacuum the bedroom carpets I HAVE to make perfectly straight "lines" and vacuum myself out of the room so that I don't see any footprints left behind.

My DH hates feet also......he especially hates when I have colored polish on my toenails after a pedicure, he says it reminds him of stinky hands. icon_razz.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:14pm
post #93 of 208

well, this thread had me laughing out loud

Thanks everyone for making me feel so normal.

And for all you who hate feet, you best not come visit me, cause i can't stand to wear shoes icon_smile.gif

As far as irrational fears it would have to be trains. I can't go near the train tracks, i'm okay to drive over them, but if i'm in town and have to walk over them its extremely hard for me to do. All i can say is i'm glad most of the tracks around here are no longer functioning.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #94 of 208

This thread is the best ever!

I, too, am scared of sharks, in swimming pools.

I can't stand "metallic" sounds. When I was younger I had a metal spacer in my mouth (pre-braces), and to this day, hearing a metallic sound makes me actually taste the metal in my mouth.

I am also a compulsive smoke detector battery checker. The one in my kitchen is totally over sensitive, so when I'm baking something at higher than 400 we unplug it, otherwise it would go off every two seconds. I lie in bed wondering if we remembered to re-attatch it or not, till I just get up and check. Again.

I don't usually mind feet, but I can't stand it when the bottom of my husband's feet are dry and he rubs them up against me. Ick!

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:59pm
post #95 of 208

holy cow! next time someone gets frustrated with me when i get frustrated with them about touching my movies, i'm sending them straight to all you!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 9:22pm
post #96 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

i thought of another one...
my closet is a retail worker's DREAM. all my shirts have to have the front facing to the right. they are all "catergorized": long sleeve, 3/4 sleeve, band t-shirts, regular t-shirts, a-little-bit-fancier-than-a-t-shirt-but-not-TOO-fancy, tank tops, fancier shirts, layering tank tops with lace at the bottom, layering tank tops with NO lace at the bottom, shorts, jeans. and then within all those categories everything is color coded.

GMTA!!!!

tho' go one step further: shirts in "that" closet", pants in the "this" closet and coats in the "other" closet.

> and color coding extends to calendar - different color for each kind of event (work, holiday, b-day, church, etc.)

> any "ticking" thing drives me to distraction -- no clocks, or wristwatches, etc that tick in the house.

> ditto to walking on grates or glass floors, over bridges, etc.

> oh, and "over"!

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 9:33pm
post #97 of 208

Some time around age 5 or 6, I had this nightmare (I know now that it was a dream, but you could not have convinced me of that back then): I dreamed I was lying on my back with head on pillow and that I awoke to the definite feel of something touching the back of my neck. So I lifted up my pillow to find a hand underneath it - I still remember this very vividly 30 years later. Promptly ran screaming to my parents bedroom to sleep with them. For almost the next twenty years (yes, I finally got over it in my early to mid-twenties), I could not and would not sleep with out having my own hand under the pillow to be sure nothing was going to touch me.

Also around the same age or maybe a little older, like 7 or 8, I saw this scary movie (I was allowed to see a lot of movies that I shouldn't have as a young child - scary stuff, serious stuff, but not sexual stuff) in which there was an unknown murderer going around killing people. The next victim in the movie went to the school's indoor pool like he did every night and climbed the high dive and dove into the pool. The killer had drained the pool. So the scene the next day showed the drained pool all bloodied up - I can't remember how much gore it showed. But, as a result, I have had to avert my eyes every time I see an empty swimming pool, whether on TV or in person. I'm a lot better about it now, but it still gives me the creeps to see one.

Doug Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 9:39pm
post #98 of 208

one more thing -- just did in fact.

must always put on the "left" before the "right"

left sock, left shoe, left pant leg, left sleeve, etc.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 10:00pm
post #99 of 208

thought of another one - I count the items in my purse...like to make sure everything is there. Not so much the little items like pens and lipstick, but the big items... I know I have 5 main items in my purse, so everytime I walk by I count the contents to make sure they're all there - wallet, day planner, keys, checkbook and phone...

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 11:39pm
post #100 of 208

Gee, I feel so normal now! I thought my germ OCD was pretty bad but all these things you guys are talking about, M&M's and left and right and sidewalks, and folding towels, wow, now that's just strange. I don't do one of those things!

All my strange things are related to my fear of people germs. I have lots but here is a weird one that has become too much of an obsession.

I search out cashiers who don't lick their fingers when opening the bags. I will leave a line if I see the cashier lick her fingers to open the bag or touch the money. If I she does it anyway, I will say I don't want a bag and I have been known to exclaim, "oooo, how can you lick your fingers when you have been touching raw chicken and people's nasty money." That usually makes me feel a little better but I throw all the bags away when I get home and feel grossed out over my saliva-polluted merchandise.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 11:58pm
post #101 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

I search out cashiers who don't lick their fingers when opening the bags. I will leave a line if I see the cashier lick her fingers to open the bag or touch the money. If I she does it anyway, I will say I don't want a bag and I have been known to exclaim, "oooo, how can you lick your fingers when you have been touching raw chicken and people's nasty money." That usually makes me feel a little better but I throw all the bags away when I get home and feel grossed out over my saliva-polluted merchandise.

OMG Kathy, I hate the "finger licking" thing too. If I see a client in my Salon lick their fingers when flipping pages in one of my magazines, I promptly throw that magazine out after they leave.

That is such a dirty disgusting habit......

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:08am
post #102 of 208

I bag my own groceries. I can remember back growing up when I saw an episode of Mayberry RFD and they actually trained someone how to bag groceries. THEY DONT DO THAT ANYMORE! In our town we have a large number of special needs people and a couple of rehab homes so they hire these citizens to work at the grocery store BAGGING. And the last time I bought strawberries the guy put my steak with my strawberries. They came home with juice all over them and I went postal. They dont even bother calling a bagger anymore when I get n line. hehehehe

Has anyone seen that new yogurt comercial with the blonde chick sucking the yogurt out of the little cup??? OMG!!!! slurping in stereo!!!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #103 of 208

Oh I HATE that commercial. I think it's the most disgusting thing I have ever seen and I always turn the channel when it comes on. So much for them making yogurt appetizing!

wholden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wholden Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:21am
post #104 of 208

This is sooo fun!
I am completely terrified of moths. In my head I know they can't hurt me, but I squeal like a baby and must get as far from them as possible. My husband had to drive us home one night with his hand over a moth on the dash of the car. I was pressed totally against the door the whole time!
I can't stand to drink from glass. Only plastic for me or a straw.
I also freak out when out for dinner the waiter comes along to refill my drink and touches the pitcher to my straw. I feel as though I just licked everyones straw in the place!
I can't watch other people chew. Hardee's commercials-YUK.
After I leave a store, I always have to recheck my purse to make sure I have my wallet and credit cards.
I don't like to breathe in air that other people have generated.
Just the tip of the iceberg!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #105 of 208

Can one hypothesize that we, as bakers, have inhaled too much powdered sugar? Or lustre dust? Or something else strange? I've never heard so many quirks and idiosyncrasies! And I just love it.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:56am
post #106 of 208

This just goes to show you that everyone is 'BONKERS' in their own way. hehe

CBU
Crazy Bakers United

frostingfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostingfairy Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:18am
post #107 of 208

Oh, I really needed a laugh today!

I'm also a candy sorter....I have to arrange the Skittles by color, then there has to be an even number of each.

I cannot eat certain foods if they don't feel right in my mouth...eggplant, hot cereal, tapioca...forget about taste, it's the "mouth feel" that grosses me out.

I sleep with an old pillowcase as a security blankie (yes I'm 44 yars old)...my husband used to think it was funny to hide it, until I kept him up ALL NIGHT looking for it....I cannot sleep without it...I've had a series of these all my life, all with the same "ribbony" feeling

Along those lines, I am sometimes compelled to touch certain things (a blanket, someone's sweater) and I'm antsy until I do.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:24am
post #108 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostingfairy

I cannot eat certain foods if they don't feel right in my mouth...eggplant, hot cereal, tapioca...forget about taste, it's the "mouth feel" that grosses me out.

I can't stand the way 'water chesnuts' crunch in my mouth. I will pick them out of my chinese food. I accidently bit into one and I couldn't chew the rest of the food in my mouth, I had to spit it out.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:53am
post #109 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Can one hypothesize that we, as bakers, have inhaled too much powdered sugar? Or lustre dust? Or something else strange? I've never heard so many quirks and idiosyncrasies! And I just love it.

This totally cracked me up. Could it be a new mental illness? We will call it "powdered sugar syndrome".

I'm thinking that people are more strange than I ever imagined. And I thought I was the only one.

Shelle_75 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:56am
post #110 of 208

I am totally in with the not breathing when walking through someone else's airspace. I always think of it as their "jetwash" a la Top Gun. Especially if they're coughing or hacking or smelly.

We are such weirdos. icon_wink.gif

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:17am
post #111 of 208

I can't stand elevators. When I was pregnant with my sons (14 and 12 now) I walked up five flights of stairs so I didn't have to ride in the elevator. I don't mind glass ones....it's not the height or fear of falling, but the enclosed space...FREAKS me out!!!

I've always had problems with food with a "weird" texture. Can't eat coconut or mushrooms or olives because of the texture.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:40am
post #112 of 208

I check all the doors of the house 3-4 times before going to bed. Sometimes I do the front door; go to to the kitchen one, then the back one and then am compelled to go back and check the front again even though I just did it. I do this a few times until I can stop and then go to bed.

freak.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:25am
post #113 of 208

So at the beginning of this thread I didn't chime in, I thought to myself, well I don't think I have any particularly odd habits...not that I am SO normal LOL but I couldn't think of anything in specific that was out of the ordinary. Then reading thru everything, I was like...OH. YEAH. That would be me.

To summarize and add my own thoughts to what has already been covered:

-I also don't like to be breathed on, - yep, that's me. I cannot STAND that feel of someone else's hot breath on me, but it's worst while sleeping. I sometimes make a shield out of my sheet if DH is facing me while sleeping.

-Counting: I do this too but it's only with groups of people or things related to people. # of kids on the playground, in the pool , my kid's class (each day), today I was at Disneyland and found myself counting the # of teacups on that ride, # of Dumbos and how many each held=capacity of the Dumbo ride, etc.

-Dishwasher: everything in its place. Yep, that's me. When I am in a real pissy mood I *shudder* don't bother to sort the silverware. Which is stupid since *I* am the only one who empties it!!

-Noises- Oh egad, my dh calls me an "auditory fussbudget" because noises, most of which other people simply don't notice, just drive me UP A WALL. Mouth noises--yep! especially crunching but also chewing (I always had to mute those old Carl's Jr commercials which were the most disgusting thing I'd seen on TV), ticking clocks (remember the Swatch? Loudest freaking ticking watch on the planet; I had to hide it under a towel to sleep), being spoken to in the morning (I HATE talking to ANYONE in the morning) or any time while I am sleeping (like if I wake up to do something and DH wakes up and asks me a question, I'm like SHUT UP, I am NOT here to have a conversation with you!), repetitive sounds, the clinking of a spoon in a bowl trying to *clink* scrape, scrape, scrape up that last bit...I could go on for hours.
I had to sit thru the ENTIRE movie of Up with the man next to me snoring. And I do mean ENTIRE. I "inadvertently" elbowed him several times but he always fell back asleep and started sawing logs. I didn't have the guts to ask him to leave and the theatre was packed- I mean ZERO available seats. It may have been annoying to others but it utterly ruined the movie for me.

-Anything touching me while sleeping - yep. Don't you feel bad for our poor DH's who might take it personally? If he wants to cuddle while falling asleep I will just lay there for hours until I finally feel I won't offend him by flipping over and disconnecting. "Breathing on me" often goes hand in hand with this thumbsdown.gif

-Footprints in the vacuumed carpet - yep. Can't leave my own behind.

-Smells. Maybe because I am a Taurus I am sensitive to smells; I only like natural smells meaning the ACTUAL item e.g. fruit, flowers, but not synthetic perfumes of the same items, and NOT on me at all. Scented lotion drives me crazy. And I cannot stand the smell of cigarette smoke. Apologies CC smokers but seriously if I even catch the slightest whiff it puts me in a bad mood, I get mad at the smoker, and I instantly panic that if I don't move away quickly I will develop lung cancer (it doesn't help that my dad, a former smoker, died of lung cancer)

Towels and shirts - yes but I was utterly dumbfounded to read that you fold in half and half again and then thirds. Seriously, you are supposed to fold lengthwise in thirds and then in half (to hang) or thirds (to store). Duh! icon_wink.gif. And for some unknown reason, I hang my shirts to face the left. I would drive the rest of you nuts!

OK I have made this long enough so I'll leave it at that and try not to chime in with "Me too!" too many more times, since inevitably you all will dig up countless more of my quirks icon_biggrin.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 8:52am
post #114 of 208

I always shower in the dark too, but that's because of a creepy upstairs neighbor...doesn't matter that I moved years ago, the feeling stayed with me.

I only drink from glasses too, but that's because plastic doesn't get as clean...I used to see stuff floating at the top of my drinks (in plastic cups) when I was a kid...didn't realize my mom washing dishes with Ivory BAR soap...was probably the reason!

See, totally rational...

there is...

The sound a potato chip (or any similar food packaging) bag makes when a hand is reaching into it...the crinkling drives me nuts. When I'm around someone who knows about this, they reach in very slowly, trying not to make noise...well that sound, that sloooowww crinkle is even worse...I usually just yell, "Your bag, Your bag!", and they know to get a damn bowl and pour OUT the stuff inside, NO going in!

Also, I don't chew pasta...I can't remember why, I think it was just the mouth-feel as a kid, but to this day, I swallow spaghetti, lasagna, macaroni, etc. I chew the meat and cheese if there's any, but noodles, I can't...it's not something I'm conscious of at all, it's automatic.

tamarawagner99...the way I deal with Palmettos is to have bug spray stationed at 2 different points in my house.
Before, I would get a broom and go after one, blowing up an entire area in the process...I would turn things over, toss stuff everywhere, stand/jump on furniture, make a huge mess until it was destroyed, LOL. Now, no matter where it goes, what it runs behind or crevice it escapes into, the spray can reach it, and it's taken care of, quickly and neatly.

brincess_b...the way I put eye drops in is to lean back, close my eyes completely, place the bottle nozzle gently into the inner corner (where you would clean crud out in the morning), and squeezing the amount of drops required, then pulling the bottle away, opening & blinking till the eye was filled with medication.

I don't have a problem with feet (I do think most men's are really ugly though), but Cheyenne25, what you wrote was hilarious..."They look like partially evolved hands to me"... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mellormom Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 11:13am
post #115 of 208

I can't stand the smell of warm peas! Or ones that have been in a can for a long time. Green beans as well. My stomach is turning as I write this even.
I also can't stand the feel of flower foam! Talk about the willies! Oh, and tires driving on sand and rock slowly. Goes right up my spine.
I love the beach but can't stand the sand on my feet when putting my shoes back on in the car. And I imediatley have to take a shower when I get home from the beach.
Another quirk of mine is that I love Cream of Chicken soup but I eat it cold with a half of package of crakers in it. (People get grossed out by that one) I don't eat it very often for health reasons but when I was pregnant I would eat it once a week as a treat.
hmmmm.... what else........
Jen...

mellormom Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 11:22am
post #116 of 208

oh yeah.. I can't stand to be breathed on either! Especaily warm air. When I was very little if I couldn't sleep in the middle of the night my mom would rock me in the rocking chair and till this day I can still remember her bad breath blowing on me! LOL So it wasn't as soothing as it was supposed to be. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

mellormom Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 11:38am
post #117 of 208

Yet another thing, FLIES!!!! They are the most skeevey things on the planet! If anyone has a secret to getting rid of big bunches of them let me know my mom would love you! LOL She lives in SC and in the summer.......
Jen...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:07pm
post #118 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

Has anyone seen that new yogurt comercial with the blonde chick sucking the yogurt out of the little cup??? OMG!!!! slurping in stereo!!!

That's the most digusting commercial in the world! Everyone in my house hates it, and when we see it come on everyone starts yelling "The mute! The mute" and we dive for the mute button on the remote. I can't even watch it, it's not just the sound. The look on the blonde's face after she sucks that yogurt out is like "I did something naughty, tee hee!" and that makes me want to slap it off her face!

Whew...Deep breaths, deep breaths...

Shelle_75 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:28pm
post #119 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

That's the most digusting commercial in the world! Everyone in my house hates it, and when we see it come on everyone starts yelling "The mute! The mute" and we dive for the mute button on the remote. I can't even watch it, it's not just the sound. The look on the blonde's face after she sucks that yogurt out is like "I did something naughty, tee hee!" and that makes me want to slap it off her face!

Whew...Deep breaths, deep breaths...

That one is gross, and also the one with the "Suite Life of Zack and Cody" twins, for the "Crush Cups" yogurt. My kids beg and beg for that stuff and I am like, NO FRICKIN WAY!!

Doug Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:46pm
post #120 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

-Smells. ...I only like natural smells meaning the ACTUAL item e.g. fruit, flowers, but not synthetic perfumes of the same items, and NOT on me at all. Scented lotion drives me crazy. And I cannot stand the smell of cigarette smoke. ...

...And for some unknown reason, I hang my shirts to face the left. I would drive the rest of you nuts! icon_biggrin.gif

GMTA strikes again!

---
and a new one --

if it's green and cooked - won't touch it.

ok come to think of it - if it's a veggie (with exception of corn and potato) and cooked, won't touch it. raw only!

and.. can NOT, will climb walls, touch metal barrel pens that have the very fine ribbing/grooves that circle the barrel -- or anything with that kind of texture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%