Birthday Cake-- For A Dog. How The Heck Do You Price?

Decorating By mrsbriggs06 Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 1:10pm by cylstrial

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 13

Well, I finally have my oddest request.

A woman would like a cake for her pooch's bday (small dog) and her sister has the dog's sister.. so possibly 2 small doggie cakes??

I don't even know where to begin in pricing. I cannot fathom applying a 'minimum' ($50) to this... but I can't price by the serving either.. since that's in the eye of the beholder. (Do you go by 2 dogs/2 bites/2 servings or 4x3" cake servings? icon_confused.gif )

I'd ideally like to do a small cake for each pooch (Even a 4x3 cut in half like you would to fill) & a small (5x3 or 6x3) cake for the woman & her sister.
*Not in the same flavor as the dog's, lol.. unless she ordered a carrot cake or something* They would be sugar free/low sugar fruit flavors or possibly made with a babyfood puree if she prefers a meat taste. Icing will be yogurt or cream cheese based.. very natural ingredients, etc.

I've got my basis covered on the actual cake recipe for the dog.. but I'm supposed to speak with her this afternoon to talk costs!

What would you do? *& yes, I'm happy to do it and don't want to turn her away. Just mentioning the idea to friends, I've had 4 more say they'd order something similar!!*

12 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 13

im pretty sure dogs eating our cake is not such a good idea... maybe worth googling incase its a similar reaction as chocolate (makes them really sick i think... or have i fallen victim to urban ledgends?).
xx

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 13

I have a doggie "brownie" recipe if you are interested! My dogs LOVE it!! I was thinking of trying to make an icing to go with it. Let me know if you figure out a good recipe for the "icing".

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 13

yes, dogs can get very sick from chocolate (I speak from experience)... especially if it is baker's chocolate or cocoa,...chocolate contains theobromine and it is toxic to dogs in large quantities or concentrations. ( a few pieces of m & m's that fell on the floor won't do damage).
Muscle tremors, vomiting,diarrhea and cardiac arrest can result.

There are some wonderful dog biscuit / cake recipes online that I have used before, which I can look up if you need them.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbriggs06

but I can't price by the serving either.. since that's in the eye of the beholder.

No it isn't. A serving size is pre-determined by the maker of the food product. Check any label on any food product. The customer does not determine the serving size. Otherwise, I'm buying a 3-tier cake for $3.50/serving and I'm telling the baker that I'm planning on serving "one" person .... here's your check for $3.50.

I've never seen a doggie serving chart so logically we can only use what we have available. If you're making a 6" cake, which serves 12, then it's 12 servings times your rate.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 13

Please make sure you make cakes that are safe for dogs. There are actually recipes specifically for them. You don't want to get a dog sick or worse from one of your cakes.

I think I still have a recipe given to me from TheCakeLadie and I'll see if I can find it but if you need something now and haven't found anything on line you could always try PMing her.

Here's a pic of the cake she did:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1212281

PM me if I haven't posted in an hour. I get busy with the kids and forget sometimes.

icon_smile.gif

Kaiah723 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaiah723 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 13

I make a cake for my dog every year for his birthday! I make a yellow cake, no chocolate at all. I have frosted it in buttercream and fondant before and my dog has never gotten sick because of it. I dont give him a huge piece of cake, he gets a small piece and my family and myself eat the rest. But he LOVES cake and he totally knows it is his birthday and that the cake is for him! icon_lol.gif

selfconclusion12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selfconclusion12 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiah723

I make a cake for my dog every year for his birthday! I make a yellow cake, no chocolate at all. I have frosted it in buttercream and fondant before and my dog has never gotten sick because of it. I dont give him a huge piece of cake, he gets a small piece and my family and myself eat the rest. But he LOVES cake and he totally knows it is his birthday and that the cake is for him! icon_lol.gif

Awh, thats cute!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:12pm
post #9 of 13

Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Dog:
http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/slideshow-foods-your-dog-should-never-eat
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1659&aid=1030

There are 5 recipes for dog cakes (the top one is very similar to the one that I had gotten from TheCakeLadie)

http://www.party-photo-favors.com/dog_birthday_cake_recipes.htm

If you google frostings/icing for dog cakes you should have a few different options there as well.

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:54pm
post #10 of 13

to those concerned about the recipe-- that part i've figured out with lots of googling.
i know the nono's for pups, but wasn't sure about gow to put the 'yes' items into cakes until i did some research.

i talked to the woman this afternoon & told her $25 for 2 4" cakes for the pups and a 5" cake for her & her sister to eat. if i figure that into servings, i'd say it's 9 total. So 9x$3/ea would put me at $27. I give the ladies at the bank a discount and don't hold them to my $50 minimum (I keep theirs around $25. They order cakes very often for the 4-5 people who are typically working --yeah, it's a small town bank-- and have waived a fee for me more than once! So this is one time that yes-- they do 'give me a discount' at their job! ;o) and I've gotten many orders for their personal events too where my 'minimum' isn't a concern.)

I figure $25 will be my 'trial' price... and once I get a feel for this, I'll adjust the prices if needed. I definitely don't plan on this being my new 'thing', but it's nice to know the options if anyone asks!

As for as 'icing' I'll be going with a yogurt coating (that will set up like fondant) as this will be delivered to her at work & then transported home, etc... Cream cheese icing can also be used, but I can't fathom how it can be remotely stable with the small amount of honey I'd add... The order isn't until Oct, but I'll definitely post pics once it all happens! And hopefully my 'additional views' will be of the pups devouring cake!!

Oh.. & btw, debi-
i meant 'us' as beholders... those who i was asking on here. i can't charge $3.00 for this size cake for a great dane / $6.00 for a beagle / & $15 for a yorkie! icon_lol.gif I decided to try to go by 'general/human' servings, since if in theory I did this type of cake for a 20 dog party, it would be made & cut based on the need for 20 servings.. and priced as such. thumbs_up.gif Thanks for chiming in though, so I know I'm not crazy to charge a per serving price based on human charts for a pup party! icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:08am
post #11 of 13

yes, there are special recipes for dog cakes. nothing like for humans. there are books out..recipes all over the internet..etc.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:19am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbriggs06

Oh.. & btw, debi-
i meant 'us' as beholders... those who i was asking on here. i can't charge $3.00 for this size cake for a great dane / $6.00 for a beagle / & $15 for a yorkie! icon_lol.gif I decided to try to go by 'general/human' servings, since if in theory I did this type of cake for a 20 dog party, it would be made & cut based on the need for 20 servings.. and priced as such. thumbs_up.gif Thanks for chiming in though, so I know I'm not crazy to charge a per serving price based on human charts for a pup party! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, I thought you meant the dog-owner would feel that they are serving the cake to "one" dog ergo to THEM it would be a one-serving cake! Thanks for clarifying! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:10pm
post #13 of 13

That is hilarious! And I thought my mom was bad about dogs - but she's not bad enough to order cakes for dogs. Hehe. I'll have to toss that idea out there. She probably just hasn't thought of it. LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%