What Is With The Wedding Cake Server Sets (Utensils) ?

Decorating By cocobean Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 2:38am by indydebi

cocobean Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 6

I have yet to find my favorite wedding cake server, knife and spatula. I have looked at many. I don't like the blade part of the knifes, they are too thick and usually a little serated. The spatula part is too wide for serving a piece of wedding cake. Anyone found one that they really like? Would you mind sharring where you got it.

My favorite knife for cutting cake is a knife that I own. It has about a 5 1/2" long blade. The thickness of the (metal)? feels thin so it can glide through the cake easily. It does not have any seration (is that a word)? I love it but the handle is a yellow wood. I got the knife from William Sonoma. If I cover the handle with ribbon it could look pretty but I don't like to loan it out. I wish I could find a pretty wedding serving knife set where the blade is like that and the serving spatula is very narrow, kind of the width of an off set spatula.

Anyone else feel that the sets they sell are pretty but not pratical? icon_confused.gif

5 replies
cylstrial Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 6

Lots of places have them. You could go to Macy's or some place similar and check them out. Hope you find what you are looking for. And make sure that you charge a deposit on the serving set.

tiggy2 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 6

I would think the bride and groom would provide their own and it would only be used when they cut the cake. The rest of the cake would be cut by the servers using whatever would work best.

cocobean Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 6

tiggy2 are you saying they are basically for show? For the bride and groom. I just don't understand why they are designed so poorly. I would love to own a few pretty sets if I could find ones that are pretty and functional! I guess that is my main complaint. I'll keep looking. Thanks!

Anyone else...

Gingoodies Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:00am
post #5 of 6

cocobean, yes, basically they are made to look pretty on the cake table. The B&G use it to make their first cut and serve their first piece of cake. Then they keep the set as a rememberance. The cutting of the cake is done by the venue staff, usually in the kitchen, with whatever utensils they normally use.

indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:38am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingoodies

cocobean, yes, basically they are made to look pretty on the cake table. The B&G use it to make their first cut and serve their first piece of cake. Then they keep the set as a rememberance. The cutting of the cake is done by the venue staff, usually in the kitchen, with whatever utensils they normally use.

Agree. I always carry my own cake cutting tools when I do a catering and will be cutting the cake. Those B&G sets are a one-time use thing. So if a couple needs to shave some bucks from their budget, THERE'S an item that wouldn't really be missed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%