I'm Having A Come-Apart..

Business By HarleyDee Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 8:31pm by kakeladi

HarleyDee Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 18

I am so, I don't even know the words. I might be a little in trouble.

I have been using my local community center to do my cakes. I've got my health rating, all my licenses, all that. All legit.

The health inspector called me yesterday. I'm not going to be able to use the community center anymore. It doesn't have a 3-bay sink (which has never been a problem until now?). When I was just doing a cake or two every other month apparently it was fine. Now it's not.

Umm, I have a bridal fair next month, and 5 cakes on the books for October! icon_eek.gif

I have the option of using out local Student Culinary Center, but they charge $25 an hour! Plus, they require you to have a couple of other licenses that I wouldn't normally have to have. About an extra $300. That's a lot of my profit going right down the tubes.

I stopped by a local cafe that is opening in two or three weeks, intending to ask if they would be interested in renting out kitchen time. I told him I did wedding cakes, and he got excited. Turns out they're looking for a full-time head baker. I told him I might be interested, but I'm not sure about that. They're open 7 days a week, 7am-9pm (yikes) and I don't know how much time it would leave me to do cakes. He seemed like he might be interested in letting me do cakes out of the cafe, but he wants to see examples of my work when we meet next week.

So now I'm hoping that if he does let me do cakes out of his cafe, that he won't want to "own" me as far as not letting me use my business name, or taking a chunk of my profit. I'd rather just rent kitchen time.

Grr, this is all so frustrating. Luckily I don't have any orders until after the supposed opening time of the cafe.. I'm just, kinda lost I guess. Hoping and praying that everything works out okay, and I'm not having to turn down orders. icon_sad.gif

17 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 18

If you think your present situation would be best in the long run....track down a 3 compartment sink. See how much it costs to install and see if it would be feasible with the current plumbing and coding of the bldg. Maybe it's just as simple as getting one yourself, putting it in for them and saying "here's a great new sink for you guys, my treat!"....I don't know...it's a thought??

DeeDelightful Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

If you think your present situation would be best in the long run....track down a 3 compartment sink. See how much it costs to install and see if it would be feasible with the current plumbing and coding of the bldg. Maybe it's just as simple as getting one yourself, putting it in for them and saying "here's a great new sink for you guys, my treat!"....I don't know...it's a thought??

I agree...seems it might be the simplest, cheapest option and you can maintain your independence.

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

That's a great idea. You could probably find a used triple sink on Craigslist and maybe even barter for the installation.

HarleyDee Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 18

Well I don't know that the sink was the only issue. He said, "It's not rated for food service.. for instance, it doesn't have a 3 bay sink.."

I was in the grocery store with bad reception when he called, and I guess I just didn't think to ask him what all would be required to make it usable. I will call him and ask him, but he's out of the office until Monday. icon_sad.gif

PinkZiab Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 18

And--while you'd have to check with an accountant--if the community center is a full-fledged non-profit, the donation of the sink to the community center might even wind up being tax-deductible.

LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 18

I so hope ot works out for you. You can also check Habitat for Humanity. Someitmes they get donations that become surplus for them that you can buy.

minicuppie Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 18

Come apart! LOL...never heard that one! Anyway barter with this guy. Put on your Big Girl panties and go in with a plan. Tell him you will (using his ingredients and pans) bake x amt of desserts every week or month or whatever. For this you will be able to use his kitchen X amt of hours every week or month. Make sure he realizes this will SAVE him money. No benefits, SS or income taxes. Doesn't have to cut a check or worry about call ins for sick kids. Meanwhile...can you not bake his stuff while you are decorating yours? Win-Win.

HarleyDee Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

Come apart! LOL...never heard that one! Anyway barter with this guy. Put on your Big Girl panties and go in with a plan. Tell him you will (using his ingredients and pans) bake x amt of desserts every week or month or whatever. For this you will be able to use his kitchen X amt of hours every week or month. Make sure he realizes this will SAVE him money. No benefits, SS or income taxes. Doesn't have to cut a check or worry about call ins for sick kids. Meanwhile...can you not bake his stuff while you are decorating yours? Win-Win.

I'm hoping this will be the way it works out. Reeeeally hoping. As long as I can keep my identity, I think it will be okay. I mean, even if it's "My Shop Name at His Cafe" that would be okay.

JoJo0855 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 18

Sorry, but I think the 3-bay sink should be the responsibility of the community centre! I'm assuming you're not the only one who uses it for food services and doubt very much that type of sink only applies to cakes!

__Jamie__ Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #11 of 18

Oh sure. Hey community center! If you want me to keep making cakes here (for my profit) you need to put in a sink! Sheesh...

minicuppie Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 11:26am
post #12 of 18

Ladies........

Doug Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:11pm
post #13 of 18

Try:
Moose Lodge
Elks Lodge
Knight of Columbus
VFW
Masonic Temple
LARGE churches, especially ones with day schools (they have to have one!)

these are more likely to have commercial type kitchens due to the large parties they host than a community center. Most community centers are set to be little more than indoor park pavilions and wouldn't see the need for a full commercial kitchen.

Possibly could arrange a deal with them too, and might in case of fraternal organizations even become the exclusive supplier for catered events they host.

minicuppie Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:52pm
post #14 of 18

Sage advice from Doug....

playingwithsugar Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:08pm
post #15 of 18

If you opt for purchasing and installing the sink yourself, check auctions. Up here, there are a lot of restaurants going under lately, and they're all auctioning off their equipment.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:23pm
post #16 of 18

When I was at my Health Department the other day, they gave me a list of all the approved kitchens they know of in the area that rent space. They were so helpful, I was quite surprised. You might try them and see if they know of any other options.

bfranzen Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 8:08pm
post #17 of 18

Before you start looking for someplace else to bake, I would suggest talking with the Health Dept. If you are licensed, etc., why would they call you and all of sudden say you can't bake there anymore? At least where I live, the license is good for a certain amount of time and you can't be "shut down" unless there's a violation. Maybe you'll still be ok, at least till your current license runs out...I'd at least check it out. Good luck!

kakeladi Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 8:31pm
post #18 of 18

......... Make sure he realizes this will SAVE him money. No benefits, SS or income taxes..........

I doubt that is how it will work. He is going to have to hire her so SS & intax will be necessary.
If she is not hired, she will not be covered under any insurance.....unemployment, safety, etc. Example: she slips on wet floor and breaks a leg or arm. Sorry, no record of employee so no coverage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%