Painting On Fondant?

Decorating By fondantobsession Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 2:55am by panchanewjersey

fondantobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantobsession Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 10

I would love to paint on my fondant. I cant seem to find any info about what paints to use. All I can figure is to use the air brush colors but not sure. I know the food colors wont dry. Could some body please help. Thanks icon_smile.gif

9 replies
MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 10

You can mix a little bit of your gel colors into an alcohol based extract, such as vanilla extract. Some people here use Vodka because it's cheaper than vanilla extract.

You can then paint on your fondant with that mixture.

HTH!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 10

You can paint with airbrush colors, like you were thinking of.

You can also paint with gel colors thinned with alcohol or with petal dust mixed with alcohol.

I've read about painting with cocoa butter mixed with color, or with shortening mixed with gel colors, but I'm not sure how well those dry.

If you need an opaque paint, you can mix white icing color with gel color. Don't add alcohol to that mix because it breaks down the white color. It takes longer to dry, allow for that when you plan the cake.

I use artists paintbrushes that have never been used for anything but food. Check them every now and then to be sure bristles aren't coming off, because that will look like a hair on the cake.

Most people use vodka or everclear for the alcohol that they mix with their food colors. Everclear will dry a lot faster but it's much more expensive. You can use extracts instead if you want to...clear ones like vanilla or almond. Don't tell customers that you painted the cake with vodka...all the alcohol evaporates as the paint dries so it's not like they're consuming any alcohol.

fondantobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantobsession Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 10

great info !!! thanks. Ill practice this weekend.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:46am
post #5 of 10

You can also use dusts to paint. There is also edible gold.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 9:39am
post #6 of 10

I use vodka with all my colours to paint on cakes - enjoy it's lot's of fun!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 11:35am
post #7 of 10

I got very inexpensive clear vanilla extract on ebay. I got them in bulk, a dozen bottles and the expensive was very low. Several people in my Wilton Class wanted one or two, so they took theirs and I kept the rest. It's very concentrated, so I only use it for painting and for using as glue with my fondant. Here's an idea of how much you can get this fo on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Danncy-Mexican-Vanilla-Extract-DARK-CLEAR_W0QQitemZ280390330764QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414890e98c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
This is for 3 bottles. For $26, you can get 100 oz. (including shipping). Or $31 total for 4 bottles. I think I paid something like $65 for a dozen bottles a little over a year ago. Even their listing says they will sell it by the case.

olukad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olukad Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 10

I find isopropyl alcohol to be the best. It dries really quickly so the fondant never gets gummy.

CakeRx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRx Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:46am
post #9 of 10

I apologize for my ignorance, but isn't isopropyl alcohol "rubbing" alcohol? Is it food safe?

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:55am
post #10 of 10

I prefer using the dusts with vodka, better consistency and I found it easier too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%