Quilting Top Of Cake?

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 5:13pm by tootie0809

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 5

I have a bride who wants a quilted 4-tier cake. She specifically wanted the quilting to go over the edge and onto the top of the cake as well. I figured I can make that work on all the top edges of the tiers but I just can't figure out how that will work on the very top tier that doesn't have another cake on it. I've tried to figure out how to make that happen, but I can't come up with a way that will work. This is for a round cake. Am I being dumb? Can it work and if so, how the heck do I do it? Thanks!

4 replies
sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:04am
post #2 of 5

http://www.alloccasioncakes.ca/images/Quilted%20Wedding%20Cake.jpg

like this?

I'm not sure how you would do this on buttercream so here's a bump

tootie0809 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, I see how the tops are done in the same quilted pattern. That's what the bride wants. I can do it on the lower tiers because the 2-inch top edge that is exposed is enought to get the pattern over it without it starting to distort, but it's the very top tier, the one with nothing on it, that I'm wondering how or if this is possible. There will be no flowers or topper of any sort on there, so I need to figure out if it's possible for the top of it to be quilted as well. I'm thinking it's not going to work. I've tried drawing it out with a ruler on a cake circle and I just don't see how it will not distort. I just wondered if anyone had succesfully quilted an entire top of a cake and if so how they did it.

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 5

do your sides.

run a pizza cutter (with a ruler) from the side edge to the other side edge and match up the lines.

Turn the cake 1/2 turn and repeat above

Once all lines are matched up you should have the same pattern as the sides.

Hope this helps.

Are you using any kind of embosser?

tootie0809 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 5

Okay I'm running down to my kitchen to give this a try! No, I'm not using my embossing sheet. I prefer the ruler method to that anyway. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know if I can get it to work out! Thank you!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%