I Need Help To Start!

Decorating By Rita1969 Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 3:02am by cakemomma7

Rita1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rita1969 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 11

So, I don't know how to start.
I love decorate cakes! But I don't know anything about it.
I signed up for Wilton class I thing it is the first step I should do.
But I use Hungarian recipes and most of the times it doesn't work out.
Is somebody has any easy and well tried recipes that I can use to practice.
What kind of decoration should I try?
I was thinking to buy dummy and practice as much time I have.
But I don't want to spend fortune for that.
So, I just don't know how I could became a good ( not very good) cake decorator?
Please help!javascript:emoticon('icon_cry.gif')

10 replies
Williamus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Williamus Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 11

I started with a class (Not the wilton class, but a class at a cooking school near my home). The class also included a lot of recipes and was a great starting off point. I do a lot of baking and use many different sources for reciped (I really like "The Cake Bible" ) but this book is more about baking than about decorating. The teacher at the Wilton class will have a lot of information for you. Good luck!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 11

Hi there, booking th wilton course is the first step. If the recipes you have doesn't work, you need to try and find good cakes. On the wilton site, they have recipes. Here is the link for that,

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/

The other recipe that lot of members love is the WASC cake recipe. Here is a link to some great recipes,

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

If you are not into scratch baking, you can use box mixes. loads of decorators use box mixes.

To try decorating, again try the wilton site that I have posted above. There are lots of information there. Using a dummy is the best thing to do. Try covering it with clingfilm, so everytime you do a decoration, you can take it off and start from the begining.

The other thing is PRACTICE, PRACTICE & PRACTICE! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 11

Could someone please tell me what "WASC" means. Thank you!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 11

Its White Almond Sourcream Cake! icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 11

Just so you know cake decorating cost, different types of cost. Cake pans cost, tips cost, spatulas cost, cooking books cost, tons and tons of cost. Some big and some little, but they all add up in the long run. So if you don't want to spend a lot of money, this may not be for you.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 11

i agree. cake decorating is not cheap.. lots of work. and fun.. and rewarding.. so you need to know that if you're going into it.. you are going to spend some money.. how far you want to go in it..depends on the money.. hth

shelbymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbymama Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 11

Hang in there Rita! Once you get the hang of the basics you will get a better idea of what you can do. I just finished my Wilton Course 3 and can't wait to do course 4. I lost my job back in May and decided to take this up as a hobby. I thought cake decorating was what you found on the baking aisle of the local grocery store! That's when I discovered Wilton and CC and all the many cake decorating stores, websites, etc! A whole new world opened for me and now I probably bore my family with all my cake talk! Just remember to have fun with it and you will be fine! icon_biggrin.gif

Rita1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rita1969 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 11

I already spend more hundred dollar for supplies.
I just don't want to spend fortune until I don't know what to do, where to go. It is a hobby for me so far, only thing I want to do it well. I never satisfied with my work. Only , I want to make it look nicer or better.
I enjoy doing it!!!!!!!!! Thank God my husband is very patient when I talking about what I want to do or how. And When I spend long uors on the computer searching.
You are right Shelbymama it is a whole new world! I love to do it!
Thanks everybody for the kind words!!!!!

Rita

luvbugcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbugcreations Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:13pm
post #10 of 11

Hi

Just a quick note don't give up I am self taught and make alot of money from it. After teaching myself some things I then took all the wilton classes
then became a wilton instructor (no longer due to my health). I have spent probably about 3 thousand dollars on tools of the trade. I am constantly buying new things. The amount I spend on supplies I make back time and time again remember the things you buy you will always have them if you take care of them. I do alot of making my own flowers and decorations I never buy already made.

Just remember keep practicing that makes perfect.

Have a great day
Kerri
Luvbug Creations

cakemomma7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomma7 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:02am
post #11 of 11

Rita1969, I'm new on here too and am starting from scratch just like you. I've always enjoyed making cakes but just the regular kind. After watching shows on TV I got hooked and my husband is supporting me 110% in wanting to go after trying to do this myself. I'm in the process of making my first attempt at a fondant cake and the whole leveling of the cakes and stuff and although its not perfect and there is ALOT of room for improvement, I'm having fun with it and I know its alot about practicing alot and finding out why you are doing things wrong. I'll be asking alot of questions or doing alot more research after I finish this cake! I know that much.

But just wanted to let you know that your not alone in how you are feeling right now. What I did as far as supplies go, is I imagined a cake I wanted to make and decorate and then started with all those supplies I would need to make that particular cake. It's a start and I got alot of my basics already. But without getting things that I don't need at this point. My next cake, I will get what else I need to make that one. Eventually I'll have most of what I watn to do alot of different cakes.

Good luck and hang in there! If you enjoy it then its worth going after!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%