Dummies.... Where Is The Best?

Decorating By jessi01 Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 4:21am by xstitcher

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 9

Where would I get a 18' dummy for a good price?? I don't even know where to start looking!!

8 replies
terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 9

your local cake supply store should carry them....I usually make my own just out of reg. stryofoam, (from the craft store) cutting the shape and size I need....I buy the large sheets 2" thick and cut with a surraded knife. you can smooth out the ruff edges by using another piece and rubbing like sand paper....I just give them a good coat of icing and haven't had any problems..... If you are going to reuse them, fyi, they don't clean up as easy but it can be used again....hope this helps

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 9

Hi, here is an online shop,

http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/cakedummies.html

HTH. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 9

If you want it ready to go out of the box without sanding and whatnot, T aylor Foam is the way to go. They sell the rounded edges, perfect for fondant.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

HTH. icon_smile.gif

I'm glad I saw this thread. I was about to post asking where to find topsy turvy dummies. And they're fairly inexpensive - and being styrofoam, shipping won't be high because it's not heavy!

Thanks, Bashini. Bookmarking this site. icon_biggrin.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

Quote:

HTH. icon_smile.gif

I'm glad I saw this thread. I was about to post asking where to find topsy turvy dummies. And they're fairly inexpensive - and being styrofoam, shipping won't be high because it's not heavy!

You are welcome! icon_smile.gif

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 9

thanks! I'll check it out icon_biggrin.gif

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:16am
post #8 of 9

i used taylor foam and i love my dummy cakes. i just want to know what people do as far as being able to reuse them and clean them. i covered mine in saran wrap and iced in buttercream then when i was done scraped it all back off. i heard about permaice and using royal icing. does anyone have any recommendations. i don't want bugs getting to them. also what about using different colors on top of white royal icing or permaice...does it wipe back off ok?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:21am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

Quote:

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Shipping can be based not only on weight but by dimensions as well and these suckers can take up a lot of room in a box, hence larger boxes depending on the quantity you get. You might want to play around with how many you order because at a certain point it's more beneficial to get more rather than less based on the shipping rate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%