My County Fair Experience

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 2:17pm by Mug-a-Bug

mommabuda Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 3

I entered my cake (the pink and white one in my photos) at the fair on Tuesday night around 6 pm. They judged the following morning at 9 am and I went to check it out before they started judging... ALL of the stringwork had melted off because of the humidity in that building icon_sad.gif It was all in a goopy mess on the top of the tier below it. Luckily the ladies were there when I brought the cake and they let me put a picture of what it used to look like next to it for the judges to see. Anyways, I got a blue ribbon icon_smile.gif AND they gave me a merit award plus a really sweet note from one of the judges telling me how all of the fair "goers" keep commenting on the cake.

Of course, my competition wasn't much. One cake was just a simple one tier with some gumpaste high heels on it and a ribbon around it. There was a cascade of calla lillies made out of gumpaste BUT these were the same flowers that this lady used on her cake last year... then there was a 3 tier buttercream cake which needed some more smoothing in my opinion.

As for the cupcake categories I took first in the children's cupcakes with my farm animals. In the holiday class I took second... I had made some Halloween cupcakes (a spider made of fondant on a buttercream web, a mummy & a jackolantern). I lost to 3 cupcakes with a star tip frosted top in white and then a simple yellow rose... what kind of holiday is that? I should've done something so simple... ugh! lol... oh well! Overall I'm happy. Just thought I'd share with everyone. I'm looking forward to next year because I think the cake decorators are really going to step it up now that they know they have some competition.

2 replies
cylstrial Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 3

Congrats on your wins! That's exciting and always makes you feel good!

Mug-a-Bug Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 3

Wow, you really gave them something to work for next year!! That cake is amazing.... too bad about your stringwork.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%