Which Icing For Piping On Fondant?

Decorating By SparkleSugar Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 2:16pm by jobueno

SparkleSugar Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 2

I am really, really hoping that you can give me some advice on this. I just got an order for a wedding cake (only my second one ever!) And the bride and groom want scrolls and vines on their cake. The cake is gong to be covered with fondant. I have tried piping royal icing (the Wilton recipe) onto fondant before, but when I did it had a tendency to "pop" off the cake. It didn't seem to adhere very well. This cake is going to have to travel 2 and a half hours by car to a different city and I am extremely worried that if I pipe in royal icing the scrolls, vines and the fondant flowers that are attached to the cake will all peel/flake/pop off. I have bought a package of unbreakable gel, but haven't tried using it yet. Would that be something that I should use instead? What do you use? Is there a way to not have the royal peel off?

PLEASE help me, I am so excited about this cake, but I am so fearfull of something going wrong!

1 reply
jobueno Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 2

Hi there SparkleSugar and welocme to CC!! if you are worried about yor RI not adhereing you can pipe with buttercreme. Or you could tint fondant the colors you want and make your scrolls with fondant. There is always chocolate. You could pipe with ganache. White chocolate tinted different colors (although chocolate doesn't seem to take color very well, at least for me).
There are so many options, so many different mediums you could use. just try experimenting and see which one suits your needs best. hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%