Quilting Look On Buttercream

Decorating By twingirls05 Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 12:54pm by JGMB

twingirls05 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 3

I am doing a baptism cake for next weekend and the client (friend of a friend) was asking if I could do that "quilt" look with the sugar pearls on the side of the cake. It will be covered in buttercream.

My only thought it...measure the top and bottom and put small marks...offset the bottom a bit and then take my small spatula and make the diagonal lines from top to bottom on the cake. Does that make sense?

Is there a better way of doing it?

2 replies
majka_ze Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 3

Instead of small spatula or toothpick to mark the "sewing lines" you can use tracing wheel for marking sewing patterns. Here you can see how it looks like - http://forum.living.cz/download.php?id=538072&sid=fc1fd17e934d93c9890cfd4949b9c151&mode=view - the "sewing" on the side of the cake.

Let your buttercream crust or if you are using non-crusting buttercream, let it firm up in the fridge for about 1/2 hour. Trace the "quilting".

If you want solid lines - better than drawing a line on the cake is to press it in the cake. Take rigid plastic - such as used in office for ring binding to cover the first page - cut a strip and press it in the cake.

JGMB Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 3

There is a better, quicker way, although it'd be more expensive. There's actually an impression mat that leaves the quilted lines in your buttercream. You just let your frosting crust nicely, then gently push the impression mat into it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%